Re: ORIENTAL CONSANGUINITY

  • Emil@copticchurch.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Thomas Daniel" <daniel_reji@h...> wrote:
      > PS: The article in Glastonbury Review is possibly by Abba Seraphim,
      > bishop of the British Orthodox Church and relies heavily on Western
      > histories written by Catholics and Protestants who had their own
      > agenda in the Middle East. The British Orthodox themselves for
      years
      > had attempted to be in communion with the Syriac Orthodox until the
      > mid 90s, when they joined the Copts.

      Hi reji and thomas.

      The reason why I joined this discussion group is to learn more about
      a fellow Oriental Orthodox Church along with the Coptic. And I am
      slowly trying to put things together as this is the first time I've
      encountered such history b/w the Syrian Orthodox Church and the
      Indian Orthodox.

      Can you please tell me more about the above information you posted
      regarding the British Orthodox Church. I remember Fr.Gregory of the
      British Orthodox Church came to visit us in Melbourne Australia and
      he mentioned the BOC trying to unite with the Antiochian church and
      it didn't work out because of problems. He also mentioned that
      Abba Seraphim was advised (in love and meekness) to seek communion
      with the Coptic Orthodox. What was the reasons behind this, and
      were there, is there any problems still within the Syrian Church as a
      whole? Forgive me if I'm wording things wrong... I'm an amateur in
      this area.

      I also remember Fr.Gregory stating Abba Seraphim tried with the Greek
      Orthodox too. He said all the Easterners were concerned about is
      land, money and the number of people within the Church. Things didn't
      work out there.

      In XC
      Emil
    • thomas_pa1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15, 2001
        --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Daniel Thomas" <daniel_reji@h...> wrote:
        > Dear Members
        1000s martyrs of Syrian church are there
        in Syria
        > died for their belief, can U show me 1 malayali Malankara Orthodox
        priest a
        > martyr, NEVER U will find.

        St. Thomas!!! St. Thomas was a Malayali Orthodox Apostle who
        died for all Indians. I said St. Thomas was Malayali because
        in Christ race, ethnicity etc. vanishes. Indians (Hindus, Sufi
        Muslims, followers of Budha, Jains, Parsi, Malankara Nazrani etc.)
        were tolerant to other religions and that is why our Church did
        not produce many Martyrs. In the middle-east and West, people
        have an aggressive nature, probably because of excessive meat
        eating and wine drinking. Let us remain thankful to the great
        Indian civilization and maintain it in our lives.

        >Then why should I join subversion against Holy
        > Throne Of Antioch.

        A throne is holy only if it maintains the Orthodox faith.
        This is an ancient teaching. Alexandrian Throne is
        holy because it maintains the true faith. Syrian Church of
        Anthioc currently lives in communion with RC, so the
        Throne is not Holy according to ancient traditions of the
        Church (please read St. Cyril, St. Severus etc on this matter).

        >What Malankara bishop's party has its own apart
        >from what it has acquired from Patriarchs, not even 1 Prayer or saint
        >or priestly name
        > or dress. Slight differences are deliberately made now.

        Almost all the names used by Malankara bishops are
        Coptic/ Greek. Athanasios, Kurillos (Cyril), Diascoros, Makarios,
        Anthonios etc. originated from Coptic Orthodox Church. The name
        Severios is also not Syriac. Infact St. Severios did not write in
        Syriac. Everything he wrote was in Greek.

        The attire currently used by Syriac Orthodox priests are similar
        to that of RC. For example, their cap is similar to that of
        Pope of Rome. Bishops also wear this kind of "makki Thoppi" similar
        to muslims, but in black color. The red attire of Syrian Bishops
        also is a copy of RC tradition. Only in head cover of monks and
        Bishops, the Syrian Orthodox Church truly follows the Alexandrian
        Coptic tradition (i.e. head cover with 13 crosses). Syrians got
        this from Alexandrian monks. The same is used by Indian monks.
        Original Syrian attire for Bishops is very close to what we see
        in Icons of St. Issac of Nineveh (Mar Issahac in Diptych #5) which
        is very similar to that used in North India among Rajasthani People
        and Sikhs (made of a long piece of cloth). Ethiopian Monks also
        wear such head cover made of yellow cloth.

        Hence the argument that Malankara clergy follows Syrian style dressing
        is no justification for the claims of Syrian authority over Apostolic
        Indian (Oriental) Orthodox Church.

        Thomas.
      • BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2002
          ---
          From the desk of:
          ( Vayaliparambil Pynadath ) BPM
          BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW M
          B.E.(CSE)

          32/1981; NETAJI ROAD
          COCHIN-682 024
          SOUTH INDIA

          email:bibuphilipmathew@...
          :hellobibu@...

          NB:Mail checked once in a month by guarantee.

        • DANIEL BABU PAUL
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2002
            TOTUS TUUS MARIA
            > NB:Mail checked once in a month by guarantee.

          • Aji Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 14, 2002
              Thanks for the nice and informative article

              Aji

              --- BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW
              <bibuphilipmathew@...> wrote:
              > ---
              > From the desk of:
              > ( Vayaliparambil Pynadath ) BPM
              > BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW M
              > B.E.(CSE)
              >
              > 32/1981; NETAJI ROAD
              > COCHIN-682 024
              > SOUTH INDIA
              >
              > email:bibuphilipmathew@...
              > :hellobibu@...
              >
              > NB:Mail checked once in a month by guarantee.

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • V Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2002
                Bravo!
                It was very good. You have condensed the whole history nicely.
                Ending quoation was fantastic. Devil is running around to have a big crowd
                in the association meting.
                Natuaaly they will make sure the crowd is big by hook or crook.
                vmt