From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 24, 2010
      A brother came to Scetis to visit Abba Moses and asked him for a word. The old man said to him, 'Go, sit in your cell, and your cell will teach you everything.'

      From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
        An old man said, This voice cries to humankind until the last breath: Repent today!�

        The World of the Desert Fathers
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3 12:18 AM
          A brother went to Abba Matoes and said to him, 'How is it that the monks of Scetis did more than the Scriptures required in loving their enemies more than themselves?' Abba Matoes said to him, 'As for me I have not yet managed to love those who love me as I love myself.'From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers

          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2199241/the-sayings-of-desert-fathers
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 9, 2011
            Abba John, who was in prison, said that there was a man sitting in his cell who always made mention of God, and in this was fulfilled that which is written, I was in prison, and you came unto Me (Matthew 25:36).�

            From the Paradise of the Holy Fathers, Volume 2
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 21, 2011
              Abba Macarius said unto the brethren when the service in the church was ended,
              "Flee, brethren;" and one of the old men said, "Father, where can we flee
              further than this desert?" Then Macarius laid his hand on his mouth saying,
              "Flee in this manner," and he went straightway to his cell, and shutting the
              door.

              From: The Paradise of the Holy Fathers
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2 5:56 PM
                Abba Pambo asked Abba Anthony, 'What ought I to do?' and the old man said to him 'Do not trust in your own righteousness do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.'

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                  A brother approached Abba Poemen during Lent, expressed his thoughts, and found consolation in the response. Then he admitted, "I almost did not come to see you today."
                  "Why?"
                  "Since it is Lent, I thought your door might not be opened."
                  Poemen answered, "We are not taught to shut wooden doors. The door that needs to be closed is the mouth."

                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14205160/by-way-of-the-desert-365-daily
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 15, 2013
                    Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

                    Abba Theodotos said, 'If you live contently, do not judge one who who lusts, for like him you disobey the law. For the one who said, "Do not lust" also said, "Do not judge".'

                    From: The World of the Desert Fathers