Re: Vishudha grantham by Very Rev.Kaniyamparambil malpan

  • Sherin Chandy Veloopra
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
      There is a real need of this bible to be translated into English and other languages as we are not able to give to people those who dont know malayalam the only way is to use Roman catholic POC bible which is in all languages and has apocrifa included. Hope our church authority may look into this matter seriousely.

      Few days back I saw one peon lady in my office reading bible society's Telungu bible(protestant bible, which doesnt have apocrifa)and I said her that I will give you another bible which has more chapters and books, but after that I realized there is no Vishudhagrandham in Telungu, now searching for a POC's Telungu bible.

      And I think our out side Kerala missionaries(St Pauls etc ...)are giving bible society's bible to others.

      in HIS love
      Sherin Chandy Veloopra
      id-4167
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
        Dear Sherin,

        In English the Greek Septuagint translation: "Orthodox Study Bible"
        is a good choice.

        http://orthodoxstudybible.com/

        It has the Apocrifa too, also has quotes and interpretations of the church fathers about specific bible verses. I also have Vishudha Grandham. I really wished there were more study notes and quotes from the Early Churh Father's : St. Athanasious, St. Cyril, St. John Chrysostom etc included.

        But Vishudha Grandham was mostly a one man project, by Very Rev Kaniamparambil Achen. There is only so much any single person can do. To have a complete study bible with all quotes from the Early Fathers included it has to be a team effort.

        But who in the Church has the time for the Holy Bible, we are so busy with court cases, appeals etc. For a change it was so encouraging to read about the activities of St. Paul's mission in Andhra and Karnataka and the really touching message about from Mor Koorilose about the Qurbana that he celeberated with the newly illuminated.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sherin Chandy Veloopra wrote:

        > There is a real need of this bible to be translated into English and other languages as we are not able to give to people those who dont know malayalam the only way is to use Roman catholic POC bible which is in all languages and has apocrifa included. Hope our church authority may look into this matter seriousely.

      • Michael Poe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
          Dear brothers and sisters in Yashua Mshiho,Berek Alaha!

          The Peshitta,which is the original Aramaic Gospels and New Testament that have come down to us unchanged by the grace of the Holy Spirit and which is the official Bible of the Syrian Orthodox church,the Church of the East,and the Maronites is the true pure, Holy scriptures. It was translated early on into Greek for Gentile converts into the church. There are several good translations in English. The Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text-George Lamsa's translation from the Aramaic of the Peshitta is very good. The Aramaic English New testament by Andrew Gabriel Roth is also very good and accurate but a few of his footnotes,which most of are very good,reflect his own faulty beliefs in some areas of theology as he is a Netzari Jew,who are Messianic Jews who accept our Lord Yashua as the Messiah and also as being Divine and sharing in the Divinity of the Father. Janet Magiera also has translated the Peshitta New Testament entitled Aramaic Peshitta New Testament translation. Paul Younan of Peshitta.org has a fantastic online interlinear translation with tons of great study tools. The Orthodox Study Bible is also good of course but lacks the semitic feel and orientation of the Peshitta as it uses the Septuagint for the Old Testament and the New King Jame's version for the New Testament. Dr.Rocco Errico has also published many good books on the Peshitta and Peshitta studies and translated large portions of the Peshitta into English.

          In Yashua Mshiho,
          Michael.
          4172
        • Dr. Thomas Joseph
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2010
            For those who want to read the scriptures with the Fathers of the Church, The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (InterVarsity Press) is an invaluable resource. This is a 25 volume collection of the commentaries of Eastern and Western Church Fathers, with translations from the original Greek, Latin, Syriac and Coptic texts. Unfortunately it is rather expensive, but many libraries in the US carry it.

            Rgds,
            Thomas Joseph
            ID: 0202