One of the world's earliest Christian cultures totters on the edge of extinction

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1502 , Jan 11, 2003
      Death Watch

      One of the world's earliest Christian cultures totters on the edge of
      extinction.
      by Thomas C. Oden | posted 01/10/2003

      Our Turkish-speaking drivers were taking us through the Fertile Crescent,
      that crossroads of great civilizations, but it did not appear very fertile.
      On this visit to eastern Turkey, religious freedom advocate Paul Marshall
      and I saw little cultivated land and a striking level of depopulation. We
      met the only two monks remaining in the monastery of the village of Sare
      (or Sarikoy). They were resigned, calm, and ready for the apocalypse....

      .............................................Syriac-Aramaic comes as close
      as any living language to what Jesus spoke.
      It is the liturgical and poetic language of these Christians. Yet
      authorities forbid Christians on Turkey's southeastern border with Syria,
      Iraq, and Iran to teach that languageā€”nor can their schoolchildren learn
      any subject in it. Christians in Syria, by contrast, legally teach and
      worship in that language.........

      ..............................In the church crypt lies the tomb of Jacob
      of Nisibis, from whom comes the
      term Jacobite. Representing Syriac Christianity, he attended the Council of
      Nicaea in a.d. 325. Jacob was the teacher of the great poet, Ephrem the
      Syrian, whom John Wesley called "that man of the broken heart."

      This ancient church, once so important in Christian history, now sits alone
      in an entirely Muslim culture. I turned my gaze from the sarcophagus in the
      crypt to the richly decorated arches, then to the geometric design on the
      lectern. Marshall, a Senior Fellow at Freedom House's Center for Religious
      Freedom, stood with me by the silent crypt of this deserted church dating

      To read more please visit
      http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/001/5.44.html
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004