The Path to Forgiveness...Reconciliation and Unity: Is It Possible?

  • Joe George
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2010
      Hello brothers and sisters...

      "Be rich in love of man and love of God. Brothers should never cheat each other. When you move away from unity you are sure to move away from God." -- Saint Gregorios of Parumala

      I am here because I pledge no allegiance to one bishop or patriarch over another. I am proud of my Orthodox identity, whether one calls it Orthodox Syrian or Syrian Orthodox it is irrelevant. There are bigger issues for us to concern ourselves with. I live in the US and attend church in Washington. I can not speak for all, but for those I've spoken to on this issue here in the US - especially those born here, the factional dispute saddens us, disillusions us and makes us wonder of our future and the generations after us.

      I could never consider myself a proper Christian, because I don't know what it means to be one. I fail because I succeed. I succeed because I fail. It is through my understanding of this issue between the factions, that I personally believe that in order for us as brothers and sisters of the one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church to progress is that I can only pray and hope that we can one day forgive one another and walk hand-in-hand towards the path of unity and reconciliation.

      I recall studying the issues of Apartheid in South Africa and the path Mandela could have chosen toward bringing his nation out of a dark time. He chose to walk the Christ-like path in helping to bridge the nation along the color lines. We as Malankara Syrian Christians are divided by so little in terms of differences and yet we choose to increase the division. I don't understand how we can even call ourselves Christians? Why is it so hard for us to follow the path of Christ? As the Lord said, "Forgive us our debts and sins as we forgive our debtors." As difficult as it is in our own day-to-day, we should have a beginning, no? What better way than to begin with our own brothers and sisters!

      I maybe just a lone voice that speaks up for just a few. I maybe saying something that's truly irresponsible and reckless, but in my heart of hearts, I can not go without saying these things. I am just a speck of dust, perhaps but I pray for all of us that we may become brothers and sisters in Christ and that the vision of such fraternity is not a fleeting illusion. May God be Merciful.

      Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to say these words. I'd like to end with words of King David in Psalm 133.

      1 How good and pleasant it is
      when brothers live together in unity!

      2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
      running down on the beard,
      running down on Aaron's beard,
      down upon the collar of his robes.

      3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
      were falling on Mount Zion.
      For there the LORD bestows his blessing,
      even life forevermore.

      Jah bless,
      Joe George
      ========================
      From the desk of the Moderator:

    • Benny
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2010
        Dear All

        John 3 - 31 - 36.

        Instead of opting path for forgiveness by listening to Jesus Christ's
        verses, people prefer to opt and pursue on their own ideas or prefer to pursue to live on worldly lusts by giving in -to temptation. It is very difficult to come out from the clutches of worldly temptation. But, it is our duty to come out from it with an insight of " we came to the world as empty handed and need to go back same as that with thankful to God, the merciful for all UPS & DOWNS in our life . Also, need to remember to give back our soul to the GOD without stain. Thus, a revolution within each of us is a must and should re generate us in to a NEW person with the help of the verses. Below mentioned verses clearly indicates that if we are not believing in the Son 'Jesus Christ", will have to face the GOD'S wrath ( Angriness). God's wrath, could be a fire , once it's ignited ..would slowly spread through the soul for which we can say in Malayalam " KEDATHA THEEY" (no end) and another is "PALLU KADY" - a situation created where there is no more chance to come back to GOD'S happiness which we have been enjoying now. This you can see in Lazar and rich man story. Father Abrahm, informed him that all have been written and available to his relatives for salvation. Thus, it is our duty to rely on the Holy verses for salvation.

        John 3 - 31 - 36

        "The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the
        earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one
        who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen
        and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's
        wrath remains on him.

        After, long 36 years Cheengeri church has re opened. Faithfull of both
        factions were very happy , As per them, in social life as well, they got the opportunity to live in Harmony. The priests, the others who lead the compromising talk may get reward from GOD, for sure, for finding a solution which I believe.

        Let us ask ourselves how much time we spend to listen GODS'S verses..?
        Whether proper explanation of verses is really happening in Sundays or Fridays in churches? I strongly , suggest to keep minimum 20- 25 for preaches in each Sunday's / Fridays and if the Preist cannot accomplish this, then the respective committee has to look for good preacher with proper approval.

        Thanks
        Benny
        ID 4190