Parish Directory - A blessing or curse in disguise??

  • Sunny Chacko
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 6:34 AM
      Dear Members,

      Now-a-days every parish in outside Kerala (and even in Kerala) is producing 'Members Directory' with personal informations and contact numbers of its members.  The idea of producing this directory is to give new members (and for old members as well) to be more interactive with their parish members.

      However, it is coming as a 'curse-in-disguise' for the Gulf Parish members, where all the visting priests are misusing this directory for their advantage.  As you may be aware, many priests who may happen to visit Gulf by hook or crook (I mean not by the invitation of a parish), first obtain a parish directory from some of their accomplices who brought them here and after studying the personal details of the members, target them for private fund collection!!! This fund collections are not at all authorized by their diocesan metropolitans and usually not for any type of charity projects, but only for "filling their stomach" projects!!!  Most of the Clergies from Kerala visit Gulf countries by private arrangement, arrives here mainly for personal fund collection only, because they think the "milking cows" here are bound to provide "milk" for them!!!  When these priests come to Gulf Countires, some of them behave like long-time friends of the members and some others try to exploit 'North-South' division in a parish (if any) for their advantage, using the parish directory details of the members!!!  However, when you go back to Kerala and try to see them in their houses or 'aramana', you will see the true colour of many of them!!!

      Recently one priest from Niranam diocese who went to UK for Hasha service and stayed there for more than one month for his personal collection, while on his return journey landed in a Gulf Country with private arrangement.  Here the Church managing committee specifically told him that no fund raising is possible here and announced it in the Church, as there were three large fund raising done there within two months.  However, the priest took one Parish Directory and with the help of one of his accomplice, called many church members and voluntarly "offered" visitng their houses and praying for them!!!  Many weak hearted succumbed to this plot and got extracted, but many rejected him. However, the most disgusting fact was that he visited the house of 'pentecost' people from his area and made collection from them as well.

      Another "Pilot" achen from Delhi diocese visited this same Gulf parish, one week before this visit. He landed here with private arrangement, while coming back from Holy Land visit, to "bless" his 'previous customers'. He is regular in landing here for 'installment collection' of his 'wholesale praying business'!!!

      There are instances of private visits of Achens, even without the knowledge of their diocesan metropolitans!!! Two years back one Achen from Kollam Diocese took one month leave from his Diocese and toured the whole Gulf countries, without even informing the concerned metropolitan, for private fund collection. Once these Achens got the taste of the "Milk" they milked from Gulf, it will become a routine habit for them to visit again and again!! I feel the respective diocesan metropolitans should have a moral responsibility to watch the activities of their priests, whom they allow to go overseas, on any given reason.  Or else one day their 'golden egg laying gooses' in the Gulf and other Western countries will turn against them!!!

      Sunny Chacko
      Id # 2999
    • BABU DAVID
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 12:45 AM
        Dear Moderator,

        Is it possible to give the contact details of Mr.Sunny Chacko, who written the above message in the forum. In my opinion it is not good to discuss this type of things in the forum

        Regards

        Babu David,New Delhi
        3269

        -------------
        Moderators Note:

        The contact details of any member is not possible to publish in the fourm, unless it is agreed by the particular member. We give freedom to our members to express their concerns on the Church as a whole or common matters related to our Church. Any views expressed by the members in their postings is purely their own views only. Forum members can agree or disagree on the subject matter and the moderators will allow both views to show our fairness. However, in cases of creating further problems to the Church due to any postings, we reserve our right not to post any messages, hold it for some time or edit the messages, as and when necessary.

      • Cecil
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2010
          Sunny Chacko,

          I was waiting to read any response of your posting in the forum,�and I did not find any. I do not agree 100% with your findings, and at the same time I cannot disagree 100%. Sunny is going for your vacation and suppose need an electric connection for your newly constructed house in Kerala, the KSEB executive engineer will give more trouble to get it on time, so you will offer him some bucks, next day you will get connection. Suppose you are not giving the money what will happen may be he will delay one more week. So we general public teach the government servants to ask for money, �you want to give that is why you are giving".

          Come to our subject, 'we cannot blaze our house in terror of rats'.� Parish directory is a reference book for all parish members; we cannot stop publishing it. I agree with some of your points,�Bishop in-charge of the region must know the visit of any priest in his region, (I think there is a standing order from the head of the church for�visits of priests). Another point, no collection of fund without approval of the diocese metropolitan, that is also in existence. As per my knowledge every church in the gulf region has their own policy to treat the visiting priests. They will give certain amount of money to the visiting priest who came after an official invitation from the parish. If the visiting priest is not on their invitation and led the Holy Qurbana there is a different amount, and thirdly the priest is only a visitor and not lead the Holy Qurbana, he may or may not get any treat from church fund,�it is depend on general body decision of individual parish. Suppose a priest on a private visit and approaching the parish members personally, it is depend on the individual to offer some money or not. If you believe the priest is violating the ethics of visitation and fund collection why can't you violate the traditional hospitality ethics?

          I am not covering such practices, I can remember one of the same cases in our parish in the gulf region when our youth association planed to conduct a gospel meeting in the church, we consider a priest in Kerala who recovered from a big road traffic accident and need some fund for further treatment. We invited the priest, he was with us for a week and the convention was a big success. We offered a gentle amount of money for his service, he then visited different parishes in the region, approach individuals who are not belong to orthodox tradition and the news is coming every day about similar actions of the priest he was spoiling the name of our church. This is my personal experience so I can believe everything in your post. But what we can do for this type of visits, do you think a Metropolitan should interfere in this matter?�I personally believe that the visiting priests should understand they are in the region for personal reasons and not for any fund collection for church or charity he should not make any money using his 'Priesthood'.

          Finally,�"milking cows" is a usages which lost the sharpness, now the gulf�cows are not in the same green pastures of olden days, they are in search of food for themselves and for their own calf. There is only one solution "churathathirunnal mati aarum karakkilla".

          Cecil
          ID # 890

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sunny Chacko wrote:

          > Dear Members,
          >
          > Now-a-days every parish in outside Kerala (and even in Kerala) is producing 'Members Directory' with personal informations and contact numbers of its members.� The idea of producing this directory is to give new members (and for old members as well) to be more interactive with their parish members.�
          >
          > However, it is coming as a 'curse-in-disguise' for the Gulf Parish members, where all the visting priests are misusing this directory for their advantage.� As you may be aware, many priests who may happen to visit Gulf by hook or crook (I mean not by the invitation of a parish), first obtain a parish directory from some of their accomplices who brought them here and after studying the personal details of the members, target them for private fund collection!!!
        • K. Abraham
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2010
            Dear All,

            There is nothing wrong in publishing a message like this. I remember a posting of this nature almost two years back about the funds our bishops collecting from members of the overseas churches for the benefits of the institutions run by the bishops (not by our Church) and the trusts formed with their relatives as directors, and I did not see any bishops denied it.

            Abraham
            Dallas, USA
            --------

            Moderators Note:
            Please write the member id no provided to you, or send us your contact details to provide the number, before sending any more messages to the forum. We expect every member's cooperation in this matter.