A God of Love Permits the Suffering of the Innocent

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2010
      A God of Love Permits the Suffering of the Innocent

      Who has not pondered why a loving God permits pain and suffering ? God has not left us in the dark about this painful question: Why should the innocent suffer? We read in Heb. 2:10: For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. The Father saw it fit that the Son of God as a man should be made perfect through sufferings.

      We read again inHeb. 5:8: though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. These are sufferings which perfected Christ as a man (before he was offered as a sacrifice on the cross). Thus we see that the sufferings of Christ are not only those of Calvary, but also those preceding Calvary, when He was learning obedience day after day by choosing between His own will and the Father's will.

      Is the same true for us?Yes. We read that Jesus by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone, Heb. 2:9. Because Jesus tasted death for us, we are spared from death (eternal death). However, we are to share in the sufferings of Christ, Phil. 3:10: that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death. Every believer learns obedience (as Jesus did) as he chooses between his own will and God's will (as Jesus did) all through life. We learn to say Amen to all that God permits for us.

      Committing Ourselves to God:About three o'clock on Friday, during the last moments on the cross, Jesus cried, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Mark 15:34; Ps. 22:1. There was no answer to this cry of agony. He cried again with a loud voice, and died, Luke 23:46: And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit. Having said this, He breathed His last. In moments of extreme helplessness and when prayers seem unanswered, we may pray as Jesus did, Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit. Such faith and such prayer would keep us in God's peace through suffering and death. See 1 Pet. 4:19: Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls toHim in doing good, as to a faithful Creator. Thus we are being conformed to His death
      God Bless

      Shibu Podiyan
      Washington D.C