Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 14, 2010
      Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

      O my Hope, pour into my heart the inebriation that consists in the hope of you. O Jesus Christ, the resurrection and light of all worlds, place upon my soul’s head the crown of knowledge of you; open before me all of a sudden the door of mercies, cause the rays of your grace to shine out in my heart.

      Isaac the Syrian
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2010
        Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

        Blessed is the person who has eaten of the bread of Love, which is Jesus.

        Isaac the Syrian
        The Wisdom of Saint Isaac the Syrian
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2010
          Before you fall ill, search out a doctor for yourself. Before difficulties come upon you, pray; then when the time of distress comes, you will discover prayer, and it will provide an answer for you.

          Isaac the Syrian
          From: The Wisdom of Isaac the Syrian
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
            If you love the truth, love silence. This will make you illumined, sun-like, in God; it will deliver you from the illusions of ignorance.

            Isaac the Syrian
            The Wisdom of Issac the Syrian
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
              When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.

              Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2940549/the-spiritual-world-of-isaac-syrian
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
                If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned
                about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe
                that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide
                for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why
                even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He
                will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes
                you.

                Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
                  It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
                  to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
                  time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
                  they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
                  against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
                  would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
                  quite some time.

                  Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy