Blessed Memorial of Mor Athanasius Yeshe Samuel

  • Rev. Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14 1:31 PM
      Dear SOCM Forum Members / Readers,

      "Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation." Heb:13:7

      Our Holy Church celebrates the 15th Anniversary of the Blessed Memorial of Late Lamented Archbishop His Eminence Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel on the 16th of April. Thirumeni's illustrious life and service as the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America and Canada brought great recognition and built a solid foundation for the Syrian Orthodox Church in general and specially a head start for the Malankara Faithful in North America.

      The Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America is one of the many great legacies of Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel. Since the early years of his service in North America, His Eminence kept a close relationship with a warm corner for the Keralite Syrian Christians and made himself available to their spiritual and social welfare.

      From many who walked before us in the Lord's service to several of the present Malankara Archdiocesan Clergy and Faithful; including my humble self were fortunate enough to enjoy and cherish that distinguished paternal care, hospitality, nurturing and unparalleled spiritual leadership of His Eminence.

      His Eminence was born on a Christmas Day in 1909 and passed on to the life eternal on an Easter Sunday (Gregorian) in 1995 and was entombed in the St. Mary's Cathedral, Losser in Netherlands. Together with few others from the United States, I was fortunate to attend the memorable funeral services, led by His Holiness, The Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas. May The Risen Lord keep the departed soul among HIS Preferred Ones and let the blessed memory of H. E. Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel be a strong hold to all of us.

      In His Eminence' Blessed Memory – 2010.

      Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu
      Vicar, St. Ignatius Elias III Syrian Orthodox Church, Atlanta, Georgia.
    • Carol Adde
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15 12:55 AM
        Dear Fr. Mathai,

        Thank you for making us aware of this important memorial date. His Eminence Athanasius Yeshue Samuel has a special place in our hearts, also. Rev. Fr. Ephrem Adde, in fact, has told me of his dream yesterday in which His Eminence Athanasius Yeshue Samuel was inquiring of his present situation. We agree, May the Risen Lord keep his departed soul among the saints and may he be a strong hold to all of us. Thank you so much.

        With the love of Christ and the memory of His Eminence,

        Carol Adde
        St Ephraim's Church, Burbank, California

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu wrote:

        > Dear SOCM Forum Members / Readers,
        >
        > "Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation." Heb:13:7
        >
        > Our Holy Church celebrates the 15th Anniversary of the Blessed Memorial of Late Lamented Archbishop His Eminence Mor Athanasius Yeshue Samuel on the 16th of April. Thirumeni's illustrious life and service as the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America and Canada brought great recognition and built a solid foundation for the Syrian Orthodox Church in general and specially a head start for the Malankara Faithful in North America.
      • Cyril Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15 9:06 AM
          Do we have more information of His Grace?
          Any pictures/videos for those of us who have never seen him.

          Also, has there been any release (CD/Video) of his Funeral?

          Thanks,

          Cyril
          4635

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15 1:07 PM
            Two sources that I am aware are from the following sites: (Adapted from J. Vettam, The Shadow of a Shepherd. Malankara Perspectives, vol. 1, based on the autoPersonageaphy of Mor Athanasius, The Treasure of Qumran)
            http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/MAthanasiusYSamuel/index.html