Good Friday

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 3:21 PM
      Luke 23:34: Then Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.

      Mark 15:34: And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is translated, My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Note that this prayer was in the words of the Scripture, Ps. 22:1. There was no answer this cry of agony. Jesus was on the cross for about six hours now. He cried again with a loud voice, and died, as below:

      Luke 23:46: And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit. Having said this, He breathed His last. Note that Jesus last prayer too was in the words of the Scripture, see Ps. 31:5.�

      In moments of extreme helplessness and when prayers seem unanswered, we may pray as Jesus did, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Such faith and such prayer would keep us in God’s peace through suffering and death. See 1 Pet. 4:19: “Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.” Thus we are “being conformed to His death,” Phil. 3:10.

      The Rent Veil:What happens to us when we go through pain and suffering, and pray, “Lord, I commit myself into your hand?” When Jesus committed His spirit into the Father’s hand and died, the veil in the temple rent, Mark 15:38: “And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last. Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.” This signified the opening of the way into God’s presence (the Holy of Holies) for every one who commits himself to God as Jesus did. Here in the Holy of Holies  we minister as priests offering ourselves to God and interceding for others. See how Jesus interceded while He suffered on the cross, Luke 23:34: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” Lord, may I find grace to pray like this when I have conflict with people. May I remember your cross, and pray as you prayed on the cross, Lord. Amen.

      Shibu Podiyan
      Washington DC
    • Michael Poe
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 5:17 PM
        Dear all,

        Someone stated our Lord was on the cross 6 hours when He in His majesty and Holiness cried out and said Eli, Eli lemana sabakthani,which has been thought to be taken from psalm 22.In fact from the original Aramaic from which our Lord spoke and delivered the Holy Gospels in He actually said upon the cross Eli,Eli, lemana Shabakthani which means my God, My God,for this was my purpose.There is no way the Father could forsake the Son as they are eternally one in essence and undivided and one together with the Holy Spirit.This quote from our Lord has for long been mistranslated into my God, My God,why hast thou forsaken thee.This is not possible as the Father would never forsake the Son of whom He is one with as our Lord points out inumerable times throughout the Holy Gospels and as the blessed epistle writers point out innimerable times also.This is one of the central tenents of our Orthodox Faith. Also our Lord was crucified on the cross at the 6th hour which is 12:00 pm and surrendered His Heavenly Spirit at 3:00 pm which is only 3 hours.That is why Pilate had the centurion lance Him with his spear to make sure our Lord was actually physically dead.

        In Yashua Mshiho,
        Michael.�