Thursday of Holy Pascha Week

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
      On Thursday of Holy Pascha Week, our Lord Jesus Christ washed the feet of His Disciple's; celebrated the Last Supper and instituted the Mystery of the Holy Eucharist. We also remember his agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and the betrayal by Judas

      Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, What will you give me if I betray him to you?They paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he began to look for an opportunity to betray him.

      On the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, Where do you want us to make the preparations for you to eat the Passover? He said, Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, The Teacher says, My time is near; I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples. So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover meal.

      When it was evening, he took his place with the twelve; and while they were eating, he said, Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me. And they became greatly distressed and began to say to him one after another, Surely not I, Lord? He answered, The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that one not to have been born. Judas, who betrayed him, said, Surely not I, Rabbi? He replied, You have said so.

      While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

      When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

      Then Jesus said to them, You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written, I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered. But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee. Peter said to him, Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you. Jesus said to him, Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times. Peter said to him, Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you. And so said all the disciples.

      Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, Sit here while I go over there and pray. He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. Then he said to them, I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me. And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want. Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, So, could you not stay awake with me one hour? Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Again he went away for the second time and prayed, My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done. Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. Then he came to the disciples and said to them, Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand.

      While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, arrived; with him was a large crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him. At once he came up to Jesus and said, Greetings, Rabbi! and kissed him. Jesus said to him, Friend, do what you are here to do. Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and arrested him. Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the scriptures be fulfilled, which say it must happen in this way? At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest me as though I were a bandit? Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not arrest me. But all this has taken place, so that the scriptures of the prophets may be fulfilled. Then all the disciples deserted him and fled. (Matthew 26:14-56)

      Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, Lord, are you going to wash my feet? Jesus answered, You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand. Peter said to him, You will never wash my feet. Jesus answered, Unless I wash you, you have no share with me. Simon Peter said to him, Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!” Jesus said to him, One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you. For he knew who was to betray him; for this reason he said, Not all of you are clean.

      After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord-and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But it is to fulfill the scripture, The one who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me. I tell you this now, before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am he. Very truly, I tell you, whoever receives one whom I send receives me; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me.

      After saying this Jesus was troubled in spirit, and declared, Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me. The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he was speaking. One of his disciples-the one whom Jesus loved-was reclining next to him; Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask Jesus of whom he was speaking. So while reclining next to Jesus, he asked him, Lord, who is it? Jesus answered, It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish. So when he had dipped the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot. After he received the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, Do quickly what you are going to do. Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him. Some thought that, because Judas had the common purse, Jesus was telling him, Buy what we need for the festival; or, that he should give something to the poor. So, after receiving the piece of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night. (John 13:1-30)

      At Thy mystical Supper, Son of God,
      Today receive me as a communicant:
      For I will not speak of the mystery to Your enemies;
      I will not give You a kiss as did Judas;
      But as the Thief I confess You:
      Remember me, Lord, when You come into Your Kingdom.
      � Prayer of Preparation for Holy Communion
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2011
        On Thursday of Holy Pascha Week, our Lord Jesus Christ washed the feet of His
        Disciple’s; celebrated the Last Supper and instituted the Mystery of the Holy
        Eucharist. We also remember his agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and the
        betrayal by Judas

        {Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus}

        Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests
        and said, “What will you give me if I betray him to you?” They paid him thirty
        pieces of silver. And from that moment he began to look for an opportunity to
        betray him.

        {The Passover with the Disciples}

[...]

        {The Institution of the Lord’s Supper}

        While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he
        broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” Then
        he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from
        it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for
        many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this
        fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s
        kingdom.”

        When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

        {Peter’s Denial Foretold}

        Then Jesus said to them, “You will all become deserters because of me this
        night; for it is written, “I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the
        flock will be scattered.’ But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to
        Galilee.” Peter said to him, “Though all become deserters because of you, I will
        never desert you.” Jesus said to him, “Truly I tell you, this very night, before
        the cock crows, you will deny me three times.” Peter said to him, “Even though
        I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And so said all the disciples.

        {Jesus Prays in Gethsemane}

[...]

        {The Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus}

[...]

        (Jesus Washes the Disciples’ Feet}

[...]

        {Jesus Foretells His Betrayal}