Passover

  • Rev. Fr.George V. Vayaliparambil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2010
      Dear Deacon Zach Varghese

      Thank you for your mail. It is much informative. If you refer the book "Pesaha Oru Padanam"-By Nedunthallil Achan you will get little clearer picture about this subject. If any member of the forum have the copy of that please upload it in the SOCM site or in MSV. I am not able to do it, because I am too far from my home.

      According to that study, Passover (the feast of the unleavened bread) starts by the evening of Thursday (Wednesday 6 PM).

      It was Jewish tradition�that they should clean up their home at night. By Thursday morning they might have�cleaned up their home. "There should not be a piece of the leavened bread in their home in the day of Passover. On Thursday morning they�used to�make the leavened bread and afternoon they�used to�prepare the bitter herb. By night (Thursday 6 PM) they shall eat unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs. Exodus12:8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night [early hours of the 15th], roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

      It is very clear that Passover meal which Jesus had was in the night, on the day of preparation for the Passover meal (early hours of the 14th). Usually they are supposed to have Passover meal on the Friday night (early hours of the 15th). Next day after noon they used to kill the Pass over Lamb to sacrifice to the Lord.

      In that book it is proved that Jesus used the leavened bread to break and give to his Disciples as "His Body", the sign of New Covenant. For Jews it was only the time of preparation for Passover. So there was only leavened bread in their home at that time.

      Another important thing is that the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross was exactly at the 9th hour of Friday at the time of killing of the pass over lamb. The two events, the time for the killing of the Passover lamb and the death of Jesus, coincided precisely on that Friday afternoon. Thus Jesus Christ (the Lamb of God who bear our sin) by his death were sacrificed himself on the cross as a burning offer to the heavenly father. May the commemoration of the death of the Passover lamb help us to keep a covenant relationship with our Lord, our savior and redeemer.

      Fr George Vayaliparambil