Re:Difference between Oriental Orthodox churches and other churches

  • PAUL Joshy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2010
      Dear Vrghese,

      Eastern Orthodox Churches are the one who split in 1040AD from the Catholic Church due largely to political reasons in tehn Eastern Roman Empire that was predominant in Europe at that time and it can be found in Eastern part of Europe like Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Greek Orthodox, etc.. who also accept Chaldenon custom.

      While Oriental Orthodox Churches are the one who follow Orthodox tradition who accept only three synods, Nicea, Constantinople and Epheseus, and reject Chaldenon. Armenian church is not an Eastern Orthodx church, but Oriental one. Although Armenian Church, East Syriac Church(Chaldeon in Kerala and MOSC also claims as their mother church), Ethyopean and Eritrian Church were formed after Nicean Synod but they accepted Nicea synod and follow the old Orthodox tradition. The Oriental Orthodox Churches are SOC, Coptic (Egypt), Ethyopean, Eritrian, East Syriac or Assyrian and Armenian.

      J M. Paul
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
        Dear Mr. Paul,
        The East Syriac or Assyrian Church, whose official title is the 'Church of the East' also know as the Chaldean Church in Kerala is not Oriental Orthodox. They don't accept the third council.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M.
        # 0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, PAUL Joshy wrote:

        > Dear Vrghese,
        The Oriental Orthodox Churches are SOC, Coptic (Egypt), Ethyopean, Eritrian, East Syriac or Assyrian and Armenian.

        > J M. Paul

      • Varghese
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
          Thanks to all participated in the discussion. We discussed about the origin. Now we have to discuss about different believes.
          I want to know more regarding the Father, Son & Holy Spirit.
          I want to know more detail about the two words "begotten" and "proceedings".

          Correct me the below statement if I am wrong

          "The son is begotten by the father; the Spirit proceeds from the Father"
          which we (jacobites) are following. How other churches (catholic, Pentecost) are following?

          Regards
          Varghese
        • Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2010
            As a former Roman, The Latin Church (Roman Catholic) added the "Filioque" to the creed in its Spanish/Gallican theology. This for them leaves the statement that the Holy spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son. As a child that always sounded strange to my ears when the Gospel words of Jesus were that the Father would send the Spirit, the helper, the paraclete. When one examines the addition carefully - it can be seen as an attempt by the Western theologians to unify the trinity and make the concept more "reasonable" as it were. It has been a problematic point for the dialogues between Rome and the Eastern and Oriental Churches for years. It is clearly an addition to the Nicene creed.

            I hope that helps as to the Pentecostal and other Protestant churches - often it is up to what the local preacher tells them. In my country (USA) there are so many brands of Protestant Christianity it is hard to speak of them as a group.

            Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
            4089