Re: Difference between Oriental Orthodox churches and other churches

  • Sajy Jacob
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
      In early centuries, emperors used to convene christian councils to discuss disputes mainly on Christological topics to create unity among Christians.

      And those initial councils are;

      1. Nicea (AD 325) - repudited Arianism

      2. Constantinopole (AD 381) - repudited Arianism and Macedonianism

      3. Ephesus (AD 431) - repudiated Nestorianism & proclaimed the Virgin Mary as the Theotokos (Mother of God). Assyrian church of the East does not recognise this & councils after this.

      4. Chalcedon (AD 451) - Anglican Church recognise councils till here. This Council accepted dual nature (human & God) of Christ and so Oriental Orthodox Church does not recognise this & councils after this. oriental Orthodox church believe Chirst is one in nature, his humanity being absorbed by his Deity

      5. Second Council of Constantinople (553) - repudiated the Three Chapter Controversy as Nestorian ( Three Chapter controversy was an effort to reconcile Syriac Orthodox Church and Coptic Orthodox Church with Eastern Orthodox Church)

      6. Third Council of Constantinople (680-681) - repudiated Monothelitism and Monoenergism.

      7. Second Council of Nicaea (787) - restored the veneration of icons. Protestant denominations do not recognise this & councils after this.

      8. Fourth Council of Constantinople (869-870) - Eastern Orthodox Church does not recognise this & councils after this.

      Though the system of Ecumenical council stopped at a later stage, Roman Catholic Church claims their council as the continuation of previous councils.

      I hope if you go through series of incidents, you will understand difference between Oriental Orthodox & Eastern Orthodox churches.

      regards

      Sajy Thannikkottu
    • Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
        Most simply put - it is a question of which Ecumenical Councils are recognized. Political considerations affected the Church and helped delineate the problems between ancient Rome (West - Rome and East Constantinople)and the Oriental (outside of the old Roman Empire) Churches.

        The Church of the East in Iraq recognizes the First 2 Councils

        The Oriental Churches (including the Jacobite) recognize First 3 Councils.

        The Roman and the Eaters (Roman) Orthodox both recognize 7 Councils - though they differ on the numbering. Rome and the Greek speaking churches parted ways officially much later.

        The Eastern and Oriental Church's disagreements center on the differences in language and culture as the Oriental Churches tended to hold very Semitic understandings of the theology of the Church while the Greek (Eastern Orthodox) Church was busy overlaying Greek philosophy onto their theology. There is far more in common than there is that is different, but centuries of political division and linguistic understandings make it difficult for some to find areas to agree.

        There is a marvelous English language book about the struggle in Alexandria called "When Jesus Became God." I found its prospective very useful in understanding how such deep seated divisions came to be in the One Church.

        Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
        4089
      • PAUL Joshy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2010
          Dear Vrghese,

          Eastern Orthodox Churches are the one who split in 1040AD from the Catholic Church due largely to political reasons in tehn Eastern Roman Empire that was predominant in Europe at that time and it can be found in Eastern part of Europe like Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Greek Orthodox, etc.. who also accept Chaldenon custom.

          While Oriental Orthodox Churches are the one who follow Orthodox tradition who accept only three synods, Nicea, Constantinople and Epheseus, and reject Chaldenon. Armenian church is not an Eastern Orthodx church, but Oriental one. Although Armenian Church, East Syriac Church(Chaldeon in Kerala and MOSC also claims as their mother church), Ethyopean and Eritrian Church were formed after Nicean Synod but they accepted Nicea synod and follow the old Orthodox tradition. The Oriental Orthodox Churches are SOC, Coptic (Egypt), Ethyopean, Eritrian, East Syriac or Assyrian and Armenian.

          J M. Paul
        • Mathew G M
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
            Dear Mr. Paul,
            The East Syriac or Assyrian Church, whose official title is the 'Church of the East' also know as the Chaldean Church in Kerala is not Oriental Orthodox. They don't accept the third council.

            In Christ,
            Mathew G M.
            # 0929

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, PAUL Joshy wrote:

            > Dear Vrghese,
            The Oriental Orthodox Churches are SOC, Coptic (Egypt), Ethyopean, Eritrian, East Syriac or Assyrian and Armenian.

            > J M. Paul

          • Varghese
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
              Thanks to all participated in the discussion. We discussed about the origin. Now we have to discuss about different believes.
              I want to know more regarding the Father, Son & Holy Spirit.
              I want to know more detail about the two words "begotten" and "proceedings".

              Correct me the below statement if I am wrong

              "The son is begotten by the father; the Spirit proceeds from the Father"
              which we (jacobites) are following. How other churches (catholic, Pentecost) are following?

              Regards
              Varghese
            • Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 12, 2010
                As a former Roman, The Latin Church (Roman Catholic) added the "Filioque" to the creed in its Spanish/Gallican theology. This for them leaves the statement that the Holy spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son. As a child that always sounded strange to my ears when the Gospel words of Jesus were that the Father would send the Spirit, the helper, the paraclete. When one examines the addition carefully - it can be seen as an attempt by the Western theologians to unify the trinity and make the concept more "reasonable" as it were. It has been a problematic point for the dialogues between Rome and the Eastern and Oriental Churches for years. It is clearly an addition to the Nicene creed.

                I hope that helps as to the Pentecostal and other Protestant churches - often it is up to what the local preacher tells them. In my country (USA) there are so many brands of Protestant Christianity it is hard to speak of them as a group.

                Dr. Stephen F. Duncan
                4089