Titles and Orders - Chavalier and Commander

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
      Aji's comment here about 'order' or 'titles' to laymen in his message # 17274 brings up a good question.

      We do have many Chavaliers and Commanders now in the church. My question is how old is this practice of awarding these titles. Is this a recent introduction to the Syriac Church. After all the word Chavalier has french roots and does not sound like a word from the Syriac tradition. In the past also we have had very important lay leaders, but they didnt have any particular titles, did they? How many lay leaders who attended the Mulanthuruthy Synod were Chevaliers or Commanders?

      Is awarding titles to lay leaders of the Church a good trend?

      Thoughts?

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M.
      # 0929