Archbishop of Ethiopian church, in exile, dies at 72 in Seattle

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2010
      Thousands of people are expected to come to Seattle on Saturday for the funeral service of one of the top leaders of the worldwide Ethiopian Orthodox Church in exile.

      Archbishop Abune Zena Markos, who lived in Seattle for about 16 years, died Saturday at Swedish Medical Center's Cherry Hill campus. Friends say they do not know the exact cause of his death, but it appeared to be due to complications from pneumonia. He was 72.

      Archbishop Markos served as assistant patriarch for the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church Holy Synod in Exile, and as such was its No. 2 leader worldwide and head of all its churches in the U.S. and Canada.

      More details
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/obituaries/2011111580_bishopobit18m.html

      Photo gallery of funeral
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011140779/index.html
    • Gleeson Baby
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2010
        Dear Johnachen,

        You,along with some bishops and priests took a decision almost a decade back to ditch the holy church at her worst situation. You had your own reasons which you and your brothers have made public many a times. Wheather its acceptable to the general public in the jacobite church is for them to decide. You cannot force your reasons down their throat.

        I feel you are racking up the subject on and off because you yourself are not convinced of the reasons for which you ditched the mother church.

        Probably you are jealous of the Church you left... When you and your brothers, the so called "vivaramulla guys" left the church, you thought that there is no chance of survival for the Jacobite church. But we survived. and we are going from strength to strength. Probably its because the "vivaramulla guys" left us. And you cannot accept the fact that the Jacobite church is presently in this situation without you guys and hence you are snipping on and off.

        One question to you achen. You ditched the jacobite church to be in a church with one Patriarch, one catholicos and one constituation. ( If you can rake up your memory, this was the favorite slogan of you people) Have you reached that church yet even after a decade?? Or are you in a church which doesnt want anything to do with the Holy See. Ask your consience.

        Any way I can tell you that I belong to a church with one Patriarch, one Catholicos and one constitution. And no supreme court have boxed my ears for that.

        What the bishops and priests who cross jumped did was something far greater than deserting their mother church. By their acts and deeds they have permanently closed the doors for a negotiated settlement in the church issue.

        If we closely watch the issues between the two for the past century, you can see that it centers around only two. One is the Place of honour of the Holy See and the other is the temperol independence of the parish churches.

        This was where a negotiated settlement was needed. It didnt happen in 58. It should have happened in 95. But it didnt.

        The two sides should have had a sincere discussion on these two issues and should have worked out a compromise. That discussion didnt happen because the orthodox faction, once they saw a bunch of "vivaramulla guys" ever ready to embrace them thought that the rest would follow. ((Any way the two issues that had to be discussed was anathema to them.))

        So I would say, more than the dozens of churches which have landed in trouble because of the unity craze of these guys, its the chance of a lasting peace in the malankara church which have suffered permanantly.

        Dear achen, you are in a situation which you created. Enjoy your life there. And leave the illiterate, foolish jacobites alone.

        rgds
        Gleeson Baby