Role of Peter in the Early Church (Part2)

  • Paul Philipose
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2002
      Let us examine what the Early Church Fathers said in
      the First, second and third century.

      St. Chrysostom in his third homily on Penance, speaks
      of Peter thus "Peter himself the chief of the
      Apostles, the first in church" and when I remember
      Peter, I name that unbroken rock, that firm
      foundation, the great Apostles the first of the
      disciples". "After so great an evil (The denial) He
      again entrusted to his hand the primacy over universal
      Church".

      Eusebius, our church historian (AD 324) in this
      Chronicle (2:150) writes: "The Apostle Peter when he
      had first founded the Church of Antioch set out for
      the city of Rome and there preaches the Gospel... He
      Peter besides The Church of Antioch"

      In short our Lord choose Peter to lead the Church. He
      partnered Peter in his ministry and entrusted His
      disciples and faithful to Peter. This is the reason
      why the early church and other disciples accepted
      Peter as their leader. So people who say Apostles
      Thomas and Apostle Peter have the same authority have
      not studied the Bible or have a hidden agenda. So the
      stance of the Indian Orthodox Church is disobedience
      to our Lord's words and denial of our Lord to so many
      innocent faithful.
      To be continued as part 2..
      Paul Philipose