SABHA CHARITHRAM PART 42

  • Dipu George
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2002
      Shlomo,

      Witnessing various falsehoods written in both the forums by misguided
      people I felt it logical enough to reproduce the true version of the
      Church History written by none other than the most Rev Malankara
      Malpan Dr Kanyamparambil Achen.

      I humbly implore this forum to kindly reproduce the article as it is,
      so that the faithful could have a clear view about the happenings in
      this church for the past 100 years. This article starts from page 173
      of the book. However only select but important portions (relevant in
      this context) have been written along with my very small observations
      in the spare time I could afford because of my busy schedule.
      I do not know if this book is available anymore but I sincerely
      exhort every faithful to try to get at least a copy of it.

      Aloho Ahmuch ………….

      Dipu George

      THE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN INDIA AND ITS APOSTOLIC FAITH

      PART 42

      Page 239

      The Universal Synod of 1975
      The Universal Synod of the Syrian Orthodox Church was held at the
      Patriarchate, Damascus from 16th to 20th June 1975. The Synod
      presided over by His Holiness was attended by all the Metrapolitans
      barring the Catholicos and his partisan metropolitans in Kerala.
      In the light of correspondence and other relevant records the Synod
      found that;

      1. The Catholicos and his partisan metropolitans did not attend
      the Synod, disregarding the Patriarch's invitation on the plea that
      the Patriarch had no right to interfere in the matters of the
      Malankara Church.
      2. The Catholicos claims that he is seated on the Throne of St
      Thomas.
      3. The name of the Patriarch was removed from the Amologia.
      4. The Catholicos objected to the powers of the Patriarch and
      his rightful dignity as the Supreme Head of the Malankara Church.
      5. The Catholicos did not accept the metropolitans consecrated
      by the Patriarch.

      The Synod therefore decided that the Catholicos had separated himself
      from the Holy Faith and Canons and the Hierarchical setup of the
      Church and has forfeited all rights, as Catholicos and Metrapolitan
      of Malankara and also that all who co-operate with him in his revolt
      against the Patriarch were cut off from the communion of the Holy
      Church. The Synod accordingly prayed the Holy Father, to the whole
      Church and all whom it may so concern, the decrees of the Synod and
      be pleased to take necessary action in the matter,
      The final session discussed matters regarding the Malankara Church
      and took necessary decisions