Reply to Larry Quintana

  • Very Rev. Dr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010
      Dear Larry Quintana,

      If I am not mistaken I have met you at San Clemente, California in 1990 or 1991.  You may recall the book "Queen of the Sacraments"

      I shall try to answer your questions one by one.

      1. What is the distinct differences in the Monophysite teaching from that of the Miaphysite perspective?

      The Miaphysitism is the belief of the Syrian Orthodox Church which I shall quote.

      According to Mor Philexinos of Mabbug (A. D. 450-523) - "The very personality of God the Word descended from heaven and became man in the womb of the virgin, personally without conversion.  Thus, He became a man who could be seen, felt, handled, and yet as God he continued to possess the spiritual, invisible, impalpable character essential to deity.  Neither diety nor the humanity was absorbed one by the other, nor converted one to the other.  Nor again by a combination of the two natures was a third evolved as by chemical transformation."

      According to St. Severios, the Great (A.D. 459-538) - "that all the human qualities remained in Christ unchanged in their nature and essence, but that they were amalgamated with the totality of hypostasis; that they no longer separate existance, and having no longer any kind of center or focus of their own, no longer consituted a distinct monad.  On the contrary the foci had become one.  The monads were conjoined; the substratum in which the qualities of both natures inhered no longer had an independent subsistence, but formed a synthesis, and all the attributes subsisted in this composite hypostasis."

      The monophysite position is that the divinity and humanity joined and consituted a distinct monad.
      I shall not commend on the concept because any interpretation will add to the meaning which the Holy fathers may not have intented.

      2. What is the difference in and separation if any of the SOC and IOC?

      This is a long story and if summarised can be put in 3-4 nsentences.

      A.  IOC wants  an autocephalous Church in India.
      B.  IOC in its relentless efforts to realise (A) since 1912 wanted to create a story of succession of St. Thomas in India.
      C.  The tenet of tthe Church that there is only one Holy Church is being violated by the IOC.
      D. All other issues are offshoots of the above line of thinking and actions to materialise (A).

      with love and prayers,
      Dr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopo
    • Larry Quintana
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2010
        Rev. Dr. Mani,

        Thank you for your reply back. I dont think that we have met. I know of a man that may have been in the California are about that time who you may be thinking about, that is really into the SOC/IOC churchs.

        Fr George here in Denver said you are family. This is where we have been comming for a while. I also work with another man Dr. Sinu who is also teaching me the faith. So, I had a general idea on the two terms on the Christology issues, but a lot of the info you find on the internet sometimes seems hard to dicipher.

        So, again thank you and if you have anymore references to this I would like to read that.

        God Bless.
        Larry Quintana
        4078