KATTACHIRA CHURCH

  • Chev. Philip John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2010
      DEAR FRIENDS,

      [1] On the occasion of the Solemn Occasion of the declaration by His Holiness, the Patriarch of Antioch relating to *Kattachira Church* on the 10th January/2010, I thought I should share a few words about Kattachira Church. The Kattachira Church and its parishioners were closely connected to me and my family for about thiry five years now.

      [2] By this time everyone would have known that Kattachira Church is a small Parish with only about 120-130 families. All of them are ardent Jacobites .It is indeed to their credit that they sticked on to their original object of foundation of the Church in spite of extraordinary pressures from the Orthodox Church. It is a fact that the Orthodox Church under the late Basselios Marthoma Mathews-II, Malankara Metropolitan,USED ALL THEIR ECONOMICAL AND POLITICAL INFLUENCE TO CAPTURE THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS PARISH.

      [3]Mathews-II, Malankara Metropolitan, took special interest. I have seen him being examined as witness in the Civil Suit instituted by Him to establish his authority over the Kattachira Church through his appointee.There were several instances of the burial of the dead among the parishioners being obstructed by the Orthodox
      Church authorities,

      [4] If, I remember correctly, the Parishioner by name, C.K.Koshy who donated the property to construct the Kattachira Church died during the course of the suit instituted by the Diocesan Metropolitan of Orthodox Church.The burial of his dead body was obstructed by the Orthodox Group and ultimately the body was buried after obtaining court orders.

      [5] Starting from about 1975 to 2000, the parishioners of Kattachira Church- the beneficiaries- were prevented from conducting Holy Mass in the Kattachira Church.We put up a small chapel at Moonnamkutty for Conducting services,

      [6] From 1975-1986, the fight was to somehow get at least a turn to conduct religious services inside the Church. It was effectively scuttled by the money power, political power and ,If I may say so, legal power of the Orthodox Church, with the then Quilon Diocesan Bishop taking personal interest. *Ultimately, in November,1985, a Judge of High Court directed final **** disposal of the** Suit instituted by the late Mathews Kurilos Metropolitan and his apppointee*.THIS WAS THE LAST CASE IN WHICH LATE CHEVALIER ADVOCATE P.P.JOHN APPEARED. We lost him on 26th of December,2005,

      [7] The then District Judge took up the suit for trial during 1986, and ultimately decreed the suit in favour of the Orthodox Church. Immediately, we preferred First Appeal in the High Court of Kerala
      with the active help of Senior Advocate by name, Mr P.N.Krishnan Kutty Achan- an eminent Civil Lawyer. It remained pending for ten years. During its pendency we were prevented from entering the inside of the Church.

      [8] Immediately after the Apex Court judgement in 1995, ,A Single Judge of Kerala High Court took up the Appeals for hearing. Faced with the binding nature of the Supreme Court Judgement, a judgement dated 17.6.1997,was rendered directing conduct of elections of the trustes and managing committee members should be done under the authority of the priest of the Orthodox Church . Two observors were directed to be appointedc to oversee the process of election.This direction that the Orthodox Church priest shall take the steps to conduct election was challenged by us by filing Appeals before the Division Bench of Kerala High Court immediately.The ten rules permitted filing of Appeals before the Division Bench.

      [9] The fight for a proper and fair conduct of election started. An interim order dated 30.9.1997,was granted by the Division Bench directing the observors to finalise the voters list to be approved by the Court. However, it again allowed the orthodox priest to conduct the election,Steps were then taken to get the Appeals heard immediately. Application was moved to prepare the voters list on the basis of the original parish register, to allow the parishioners to confess before the priest of their choice, etc.By order dated 18.12.1998,it was directed that voters list shall be finalised by the
      observors taking into account the original parish register also, Voters list was directed to be produced in the HIGH COURT. THUS THE
      HIGH COURT DIRECTLY TOOK OVER THE PROCESS OF CONDUCT OF ELECTION,

      [10] The Orthodox Church went to Supreme Court. It was disposed off on
      8.12.1999, directing the Appeals to be disposed off in three months and directing the CHIEF JUSTICE to constitute a Bench for the same,

      [11] Accordingly the Appeals were heard and by judgement dated 4th of April, 2000, the judgement of the Single Judge in Appeal was set aside, holding that the parishioners are the ultimate authority and directed conduct of election through observors only.Confession as a qualification to be a voter was not insisted upon,

      [10] The above directions were not stayed by the Supreme Court although challenged therein. Accordingly, elections were held and the parishioners succeeded to select their trustees and committee members in 2000. It wanted another order by the High Court Division Bench for the properties to be handed over to the newly elected trustees.The Receiver readily handed over the properties to the trustees. Accordingly, the parishioners took possession and management
      of KATTACHIRA CHURCH.

      [11]THE ORTHODOX GHROUP KNOWING AND REALISING GROUND REALITY, LEFT THE
      PARISH.

      It has been a long journey of struggle and hardship for the parishioners of ST MARY'S JACOBITE CHURCH, KATTACHIRA Ultimately truth and preservance to attain the same succeeded. The original parties to the suit- C.K KOSHY, Y.BABY, T.BABY, M.O. GEORGE,M.PAPPY -are no more with us.However, they were effectively succeeded by *MR ALEX **** GEORGE AND FR ROY GEORGE.The preservance shown by these two parishioners are praiseworthy. It is their hardwork **** and strength of character shown in the face of adversity, that made it possible for the KATTACHIRA PARISHIONERS TO *** *GET BACK THEIR CHURCH.*

      I COULD FEEL AN UNSEEN HAND GUIDING US DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD OF CONDUCT OF APPEALS IN THE DIVISION BENCH OF HIGH COURT AND THEIR OFFSHOOTS IN THE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA.

      * IN THIS SOLEMN OCCASION, I WISH MY BROTHER AND SISTER PARISHIONERS OF KATTACHIRA **** ST MARY'S CHURCH THE BEST OF EVERYTHING IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD, JESUS CHRIST. MAY EVERY SINGLE ONE **** OF YOU ACCEPT JESUS, SON OF ST MARY, IN YOUR HEART. MAY THIS BE AN OCCASION AND OPPORTUNITY FOR **** EACH ONE OF YOU TO STOP AND REFLECT UPON YOUR LIFE TILL NOW, AND PRAY TO JESUS TO CLEANSE YOU OF **** ALL THE SINS COMMITTED KNOWINGLY AND UNKOWINGLY.**** I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THE STREAMING TEARS OF ST MARY ARE AN INVITATION TO EACH ONE OF**** YOU TO ACCEPT JESUS , HER SON, IN YOUR HEART.******

      WITH PRAYERS,
      ADVOCATE CHEVALIER
      P J PHILIP,
      MEMBER ID-1837
    • Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010
        Shlomo,

        Praise The LORD.

        Lot many people including myself were under the impression that the Main church is still controlled by MOC group.

        Thank you for revealing the status. Is the miracle happening in the chapel constructed during the legal tenure?

        Johnson