From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2009
      Reading the Scriptures is a great safeguard against sin. - Abba Epiphanius of Cyprus

      Taken from: The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2199241
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2010
        Gregory said, God asks three things of anyone who is
        baptized: to the true faith with all his soul and all his might; to control his tongue; to be chaste in his body.

        The Desert Fathers: Saying of the Early Christian Monks
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2010
          The devil appeared to a monk, disguised as an angel of light, and said to him, ‘I am the angel Gabriel and I have been sent to you. But the monk said, see if you have not been sent to someone else; I am not worthy to have an angel sent to me. At once the devil vanished.

          Daily Reflections with the Desert Fathers
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 17 , May 21, 2010
            They used to say about Abba Pachomius that he spent much time in striving with devils like a true athlete, and after the manner of Saint Anthony. And because many devils came against him in the night season, he asked God to keep away sleep from him both by day and by night, so that he might not sleep at all, and might be able to bring low the might of the Enemy, even according to that which is written, " I will " not turn back until I have made an end of them "; for they are powerless against the faith which is in the Lord. Now this gift was given unto him, even as he had asked, for a certain time, and because he was pure, his heart used to see God, Who is invisible, as in a mirror.

            From: The Paradise of the Holy Fathers
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7 7:43 PM
              An old man said, This voice cries to humankind until the last breath: Repent today.

              From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers
              The World of the Desert Fathers
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 24 12:17 AM
                A brother came to Scetis to visit Abba Moses and asked him for a word. The old man said to him, 'Go, sit in your cell, and your cell will teach you everything.'

                From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                    A brother went to Abba Matoes and said to him, 'How is it that the monks of Scetis did more than the Scriptures required in loving their enemies more than themselves?' Abba Matoes said to him, 'As for me I have not yet managed to love those who love me as I love myself.'From the Sayings of the Desert Fathers

                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2199241/the-sayings-of-desert-fathers
                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 9, 2011
                      Abba John, who was in prison, said that there was a man sitting in his cell who always made mention of God, and in this was fulfilled that which is written, I was in prison, and you came unto Me (Matthew 25:36).�

                      From the Paradise of the Holy Fathers, Volume 2
                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 21, 2011
                        Abba Macarius said unto the brethren when the service in the church was ended,
                        "Flee, brethren;" and one of the old men said, "Father, where can we flee
                        further than this desert?" Then Macarius laid his hand on his mouth saying,
                        "Flee in this manner," and he went straightway to his cell, and shutting the
                        door.

                        From: The Paradise of the Holy Fathers
                      • Mark Sedrak
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                          Abba Pambo asked Abba Anthony, 'What ought I to do?' and the old man said to him 'Do not trust in your own righteousness do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.'

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                            A brother approached Abba Poemen during Lent, expressed his thoughts, and found consolation in the response. Then he admitted, "I almost did not come to see you today."
                            "Why?"
                            "Since it is Lent, I thought your door might not be opened."
                            Poemen answered, "We are not taught to shut wooden doors. The door that needs to be closed is the mouth."

                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14205160/by-way-of-the-desert-365-daily
                          • Mark Sedrak
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15, 2013
                              Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

                              Abba Theodotos said, 'If you live contently, do not judge one who who lusts, for like him you disobey the law. For the one who said, "Do not lust" also said, "Do not judge".'

                              From: The World of the Desert Fathers