Re: X not Equal To Lord Jesus Christ - please avoid X

  • Babu Jacob Nadayil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
      Respected Rev.Stephen Duncan and Dear Brother Noby Jacob,

      We thank you both for the insight on the subject. Recently, a very dear young buddy of mine also questioned my usage of word X'mas and expressed concern this way:

      "Dear Babu Uncle, I am sorry but I had to bring this to your attention: It is very casual for people to use the short form of Christmas as X'mas but I totally don't agree in that because what is Christmas without having Christ in it. Christmas is the remembrance of the birthday of Christ and having an 'X' in place of Christ doesn't make sense. It is my humble request to use Christmas instead of using X'mas in your future messages. This is a simple way we can have the young children how important is Christ to us."

      I wrote in response: It is an accepted abbreviated form(latin > greek> e'ks'mas) for CHRISTMAS according to all English Dictionaries(Webster, American Heritage etc.). According to American Heritage Dictionary, X = A Symbol for CHRIST or Christians. 'X' stands for No.10 in Roman number.... No.10 is a complete number and in Malayalam, 10 = ellam thikanja (perfect/infallible).....so, ellam thikanja oral KARTHAVU maathram !(God is the one and only perfect one)... the usage of 'X' for Christ is meaningful > ellam thikanja Mighty Lord !

      Anyway, I agree with my buddy and Noby Jacob that it is better to use the actual word 'C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S' and if one is able to experience CHRIST by seeing the real word, I would definitely go for it rather than using the abbreviation.

      With regards,

      Babu Jacob Nadayil