Position of Mary magdaline

  • Jinesh John
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2009
      Dear Members

      I would like to know about how our church and on a broader prospect the orthodox churches consider Mary Magdaline? is she considered as saint;if so, is there any church installed in her name;eager to hear some authentic answers

      regards

      jinesh john
      ID No: 4003
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
        Dear Jignesh,

        Mary Magdalene is the most misunderstood woman from the Holy Bible. Many confuse her with other women mentioned in the Bible. She is NOT the prostitute who wiped Jesus' feet with her hair. She is NOT , Mary the sister of Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead. Confusing Mary Magdalene with the prostitute is an error that crept into the tradition in the West in the Roman Catholic tradition.

        Mary Magdalene is one of the women who witnessed the crucifixion of Christ (Matt 27:55-61). She was one of the first to know of the resurrection of the Lord from an Angel and one of the first to have seen the risen Lord. (Mark 16:1-10, John 20:1-18). She is one of the women (Naarikal) mentioned in the Qurbana hymn Vismaya Sahitham http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZwDkk164vk

        In the Syriac Orthodox Church as well as all the other Eastern Orthodox Churches, Mary Magdalene is venerated as a saint. She is considered an Equal to the Apostles and is even called an Apostle to the Apostles as she is the one who preached the Good News (Gospel) of the resurrection of the Lord to even the Apostles. Her feast is celebrated by the Holy Church on July 22.

        Scroll down to the month of July http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar/2009.html

        There are many Eastern Orthodox Churches with the name St. Mary Magdalene Church. Here is the link to Coptic Orthodox Church (we Syriac Orthodox and Coptic has the exact same faith and have full communion) in the name of St Mary Magdalene.

        http://www.suscopts.org/diocese/churches/st-mary-magdalene/

        May the intercessions of St Mary Magdalene be a fortress for us.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M
        0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Jinesh John wrote:

        > Dear Members
        >
        > I would like to know about how our church and on a broader prospect the orthodox churches consider Mary Magdaline? is she considered as saint;if so, is there any church installed in her name;eager to hear some authentic answers
        >
        > regards
        >
        > jinesh john
        > ID No: 4003
      • Michael Poe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
          Dear brother in Christ,yes Mary Madeline is a true Saint of the universal Orthodox church.I have seen several icons of her and there are Eastern Orthodox churches named after her.
          In Christ,
          Michael.