Merry X' mas and Happy New Year!

  • Rev. Fr. Babu Peringol
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2009
      Dear All:
      When we are about to celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, may I take this time to join you all to share the immense joy and happiness during this Christmas time and wish you all a Merry X' mas and Happy New Year!.

      Respectfully,

      Father Babu Peringol
      Secretary General, Saint Ephrem Universal Syriac Orthodox Medical Mission/SEUSOMM
    • Nebu Jacob
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2009
        Dear All

        Nobody is equivalent to our Lord Jesus Christ so while wishing the Christmas greetings please wish in the name of GOD. 'X ' is usally used for something unknown,But Jesus Christ lives in us.So please always use Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas instead of Merry X mas.

        once again I wish you all Happy Christmas.

        Thank you!

        Regards
        Nebu Jacob
        Neelimangalam Church
        Kottayam
        Kerala.
        4133
      • Rev. Stephen Duncan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2009
          The X is a Chi as in Chi Rho Ioata Sigma Tau or Christ in Greek.
          XPIST sorry I cant get a proper Sigma in this font.

          Rev. Stephen Duncan, Galveston, TX
          Saints Constantine and Helen

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Nebu Jacob wrote:

          > Dear All
          >
          > Nobody is equivalent to our Lord Jesus Christ so while wishing the Christmas greetings please wish in the name of GOD. 'X ' is usally used for something unknown,But Jesus Christ lives in us.So please always use Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas instead of Merry X mas.

        • Babu Jacob Nadayil
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
            Respected Rev.Stephen Duncan and Dear Brother Noby Jacob,

            We thank you both for the insight on the subject. Recently, a very dear young buddy of mine also questioned my usage of word X'mas and expressed concern this way:

            "Dear Babu Uncle, I am sorry but I had to bring this to your attention: It is very casual for people to use the short form of Christmas as X'mas but I totally don't agree in that because what is Christmas without having Christ in it. Christmas is the remembrance of the birthday of Christ and having an 'X' in place of Christ doesn't make sense. It is my humble request to use Christmas instead of using X'mas in your future messages. This is a simple way we can have the young children how important is Christ to us."

            I wrote in response: It is an accepted abbreviated form(latin > greek> e'ks'mas) for CHRISTMAS according to all English Dictionaries(Webster, American Heritage etc.). According to American Heritage Dictionary, X = A Symbol for CHRIST or Christians. 'X' stands for No.10 in Roman number.... No.10 is a complete number and in Malayalam, 10 = ellam thikanja (perfect/infallible).....so, ellam thikanja oral KARTHAVU maathram !(God is the one and only perfect one)... the usage of 'X' for Christ is meaningful > ellam thikanja Mighty Lord !

            Anyway, I agree with my buddy and Noby Jacob that it is better to use the actual word 'C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S' and if one is able to experience CHRIST by seeing the real word, I would definitely go for it rather than using the abbreviation.

            With regards,

            Babu Jacob Nadayil