Cheppaud Church - Picture of Sacred Heart

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2009
      I want to congratulate the members of Cheppaud St. George Jacobite Syrian orthodox Church on the occassion of the consecration of their new church. The church building looks very nice and is attractive.

      In have a small and humble suggestion to make. On either side of the altar, you can see an icon (picture) of Our Lord Jesus and Virgin Mary the Mother of God.

      Link Photo: http://tinyurl.com/yav27my

      As you can see the picure of Jesus Christ is that of the Sacred Heart. Devotion to the Sacred Heart is not a Syriac Orthodox tradition. It is a Roman Catholic tradition. In the Orthodox tradition there is no special devotion to the heart of Jesus. So my humble suggestion would be to replace that picture of the Sacred Heart with an icon of Jesus from the Orthodox tradition.

      Link to Icon: http://tinyurl.com/y93lwv9

      Another example of an Orthodox icon of Jesus is in this picture:

      Link: http://tinyurl.com/ydqaekm

      This is just a humble suggestion.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      0929
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 2009
        Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,I've seen a wide spread use of Roman Catholic types of images of our Lord,God,and Saviour Jesus Christ,The Holy Theotokos,and the saints in numerable Oriental Orthodox churches,sometimes right next to proper,true,Orthodox icons which are painted in a very special way,according to a very specific manner in all holiness and mystical purity.Orthodox icons are theology in picture and windows to heaven.The Roman Cathoilc imagery is not ever supposed to be in a proper Orthodox Christian church.You would never ever see roman catholic types of images used  or in an Eastern Orthodox church.I love the beauty and majesty of the Oriental Orthodox churches but western style,roman catholic imagery has no place in a Orthodox church,period.In Christ,
        Michael.
        4172.