Cyril of Alexandria

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2009
      Do not consider your riches as belonging to yourselves alone; open wide your hand to those who are in need; assist those who are in poverty and pain.

      Cyril of Alexandria
      Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2010
        And because He was God, ineffably made flesh, He knew only the good and was exempt from that depravity that belongs to humanity. And this too is an attribute of the supreme Substance, for that which is good by nature, firmly and unchangeable, belongs specially to it, and it only, for there is none good but God, as the Savior Himself has said.

        Cyril of Alexandria, Homilies on the Gospel of Luke
        Ancient Christian Doctrine, Volume 2
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2012
          Jesus calls the quickening gift of the Spirit "living water" because mere human nature is parched to its very roots, now rendered dry and barren of all virtue by the crimes of the devil. But now human nature runs back to its pristine beauty, and drinking in that which is life-giving, it is made beautiful with a variety of good things and budding into a virtuous life, it sends out healthy shoots of love toward God.

          Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel of John 2:4
          From: On the Way to the Cross
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/13820615/on-the-way-to-cross
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2012
            Learning from the Gospel would therefore be truly good, as would the force of life in Christ. So it must be proclaimed to the lovers of the text, "Learn to do good, and seek out justice", that is, judge fairly.

            Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on Isaiah, Volume 1, Chapter 1:17
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
              For while it is men's duty to examine themselves, and to order their conduct according to God's will, they leave this alone to busy themselves with the affairs of others: and if they see any infirm, forgetting as it seems their own frailties, they make it an excuse for faultfinding, and a handle for calumny.

              For they condemn them, not knowing that being equally afflicted with the same infirmities as those whom they censure, they condemn themselves.

              Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2311078/the-bible-and-holy-fathers-for-orthodox
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
                O sublime condescension! The Creator gives himself to his creatures for their
                delight. Life bestows itself on mortals as food and drink. “Come, eat my body,”
                he exhorts us, “and drink the wine I have mingled for you. I have prepared
                myself as food. I have mingled myself for those who desire me. Of my own will I
                became flesh and have become a partaker of your flesh and blood. . . . Eat of
                me as I am life, and live, for this is what I desire. . . . Eat my bread, for I
                am the life-giving grain of the wheat, and I am the bread of life. Drink the
                wine I have mingled for you, for I am the draught of immortality. . . . I am the
                true vine; drink my joy, the wine that I have mingled for you.”

                Cyril of Alexandria, Meditation on the Mystical Supper 10
                Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, Volume 1
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2261143/sunday-sermons-of-the-great-fathers-4