Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2009
      Do not be inept in the requests you make to God, otherwise you will insult God through your ignorance.

      Isaac the Syrian
      From: The Wisdom of St Isaac the Syrian
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
        Meditation on the scriptures teaches the soul the discourse with God.

        Isaac the Syrian
        From: Orthodox Prayer Life
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 19, 2010
          As children are not born without a mother, so passions are not born
          without distraction of the mind, and sin is not committed without
          parley with the passions.

          Isaac the Syrian
          On Ascetical Life
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 14, 2010
            Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

            O my Hope, pour into my heart the inebriation that consists in the hope of you. O Jesus Christ, the resurrection and light of all worlds, place upon my soul’s head the crown of knowledge of you; open before me all of a sudden the door of mercies, cause the rays of your grace to shine out in my heart.

            Isaac the Syrian
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2010
              Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

              Blessed is the person who has eaten of the bread of Love, which is Jesus.

              Isaac the Syrian
              The Wisdom of Saint Isaac the Syrian
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2010
                Before you fall ill, search out a doctor for yourself. Before difficulties come upon you, pray; then when the time of distress comes, you will discover prayer, and it will provide an answer for you.

                Isaac the Syrian
                From: The Wisdom of Isaac the Syrian
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                  If you love the truth, love silence. This will make you illumined, sun-like, in God; it will deliver you from the illusions of ignorance.

                  Isaac the Syrian
                  The Wisdom of Issac the Syrian
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
                    When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.

                    Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian
                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2940549/the-spiritual-world-of-isaac-syrian
                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
                      If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned
                      about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe
                      that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide
                      for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why
                      even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He
                      will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes
                      you.

                      Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the
                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
                        It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
                        to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
                        time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
                        they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
                        against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
                        would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
                        quite some time.

                        Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy