Macarius the Great

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
      When He walked this earth, He gave help and health to those who approached and asked for such favors.

      Macarius the Great
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
        If anyone loves Jesus and really gives himself attentively, not superficially, to Him: if he perseveres in love, God is already planning to reward that soul for that love.

        Macarius the Great
        The Fifty Spiritual Homilies
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
          This is the mark of Christianity--however much a man toils, and however many righteousnesses he performs, to feel that he has done nothing, and in fasting to say, "This is not fasting," and in praying, "This is not prayer," and in perseverance at prayer, "I have shown no perseverance; I am only just beginning to practice and to take pains"; and even if he is righteous before God, he should say, "I am not righteous, not I; I do not take pains, but only make a beginning every day."

          Macarius the Great
          Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
            O God, cleanse me a sinner, for I have done nothing good before Thee. Deliver me from the evil one, and may Thy will be in me, that I might open my unworthy lips without condemnation and praise Thy holy name, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

            Macarius the Great
            1st Morning Prayer, Orthodox Daily Prayers
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2012
              The person, who has found the Lord, the true treasure, by seeking the Spirit, by faith and great patience, brings forth the fruits of the Spirit, as I said earlier. All righteousness and the commands of the Lord which the Spirit orders he does by himself, purely, and perfectly, and without blame.

              Macarius the Great, The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 2012
                A brother once met abbot Macarius the Egyptian, and said to him, ' Abba, say
                something to me that I may be saved.' The old man said, 'Go to the
                burying-ground and revile the dead.' The brother went, and reviled them, and
                threw stones at the
                m, and came and reported to the old man. He said to him, ' Did they not answer
                thee? ‘He said, 'No.' The old man said, 'Go again tomorrow and praise them.' So
                the brother went, and praised them, calling them apostles, and saints, and
                righteous men, and came to the old man, and said, ' I praised them.' And he said
                to him, ' Did they answer? ' The brother said, No.' The old man said, 'For as
                much as you insulted them, they answered nothing, and for as much as you praised
                them, and they said nothing to you. If you want to be saved, become dead like
                them. Think nothing of the wrongs done by men, nor of their praise, any more
                than the dead do and you may be saved.'

                Macarius the Great, Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great
                Letter
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018538/pseudo-macarius-the-fifty-spiritual
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2012
                  Macarius the Great
                  From: St. Macarius the Spiritbearer
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2265761/macarius-the-spiritbearer-of-egypt
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013
                    Abba Macarius was met on the road by the devil, who struck him repeated with a scythe, to no avail. The devil finally exclaimed, What is your power, Macarius, that makes me powerless against you? all that you do, I do too. You fast, so do I; you keep vigil, and I do not sleep at all. In one thing only do you beat me. When Abba Macarius asked what that could be, the devil replied, Your humility.
                    Because of that I can do nothing against you.�

                    Macarius the Great, Macarius the Spiritbearer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                      Do not judge others, for this alone will intercede for us during the judgement before God.

                      Macarius the Great, Living Without Hypocrisy
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/16861196/living-without-hypocrisy