Catholic Hymn Anputayo-neaa nin vaathil

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2009
      ANPUTAYO-NEAA, NIN VAATHIL

      I would like to refer to the article of Shri U T George in the Digest No.3127 dated 08.11.2009. The last stanza of the song is the prayer proper or the core of the prayer-song which is not liable to be left unsung. It may please be noted that the said last stanza is in the first person singular while preceding stanzas are all in first person plural (see the words daasar, atiyaare, belaheener & atiyaaril vis-à-vis yente)

      Kind attention is drawn to the last word of the first line of stanza 4. The word is prardhanayin and not prardhanayil.. Prardhanayin is to be linked to naadam and the meaning is the voice of prayer. The word Ninnuthavikkay should not be sung so as to mean that waited for the spoon (thavy) It is NIN UTHAVIKKAAY Uthavi means support or help.

      While singing the Catholic Hymn, Haaleluya(h) vu haaleluya(h) comes between two lines, disturbing the line of meditation of the singer. To avoid this, haaleluya(h) and Barek mor Kuri Elaaysone should be combined as under:

      Anputayo-neaa nin vaathil
      Muttunnu daasar naadam
      Aavazyathaal yaachikkum
      Adiyaare thallitalle
      Haaleaaloy Haleaaluya(h)
      Barek mor Kuriy eaalaysone

      Alivotuzikshichatiyaare
      Arizam neekkikkaakkename
      Vaathil thuranneeprardhanayin-
      Naadam keaatteaakeetaname
      Haaleaaloy Haaleaaloya(h)
      Barek mor kuri eaalaysone

      As indicated earlier, the last stanza of the song should not be left unsung as it is the core of the song. Usually, La’moryo nethkaazaap (karthaavino-tu naam prardhikkanam) comes as a bolt from the blue (sorry as a command from the madbaho) cutting short the song even if the last stanza was yet to be sung.

      This hard situation is there when ever sraafikale kanteaazaya is sung. The singers may have sung up to stanza 5 when some one from the holy of the holies will raise his sword and make a harsh cut even as the mind of meditating congregation have come only up to, say, six wings of the seraphims leaving two full stanzas unsung. So my bumble submission is that the “seraphims “song should be sung up to the last stanza with out fail. Let us omit from the song haaleaaluya(h) and Barek mor Kuri eaalaaysone to ensure this for which act of omission our Lord will forgive us.

      Incidentally I may submit that the line parizudhan nee daivasuthaa (Holy art Thou, Son of God) is not irrelevant as may appear to us when we read Isaiah 6:1-4 .Kindly go through John 12:37-41. In Jn 12.41 the pronoun “thante” & thannekkurichu {vide Vizudha Grandham (Kaniyamparabil)} and avante & avanekkurichu {vide Sathya Veaadapusthakam (Bible Society)} refer to Jesus our Lord. Good News Bible is very clear about this as it says “Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him”.

      If we omit haleaaluya(h) and Barek mor Kuri eaalaaysone from the catholic hymn, at times the fraction, consignation and com-mixtion of the Qurbono by the celebrant may not have finished. In those occasions we could recite one or more item(s) of the catholic litany.

      V T John
      ID 3085