Re: Ex-comunicated persons

  • Rev. Dn. Aniss Ibrahim Sowmy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
      Dear All:

      It is important to understand the level of ex-communication in our Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch.

      First of all ex-communication is proclaimed in relation to a person, a group or a priest by the head of the Church in this case HH the Patriach of Antioch.

      It is important to know also that the ex-communicated is a grave sinner, his sin is significant to the Church and thus to God.

      On Maudnay Thursday during the celebration of the feet washing of the disciples we sing in a hymn that Jesus Christ washed away priesthood from Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve apostles that would betray him.

      Thus, if we believe that Christ our Saviour, put all the power in St. Peter's hands, and if we believe that Peter and the other apostles by imposing their hands they could minister the sacrament of the priesthood to other chosen laymen or parishers, we must believe also that the head of the Church has clear and sufficient power to stop priesthood from those that according to the Church law are not fit to detain it.

      When a priest is ex-communicated he looses his priesthood; HH many times stops a priest from community service and send him to a monastery or leave him at home without ex-communion, in reality is giving a time for that person to reflect about his acts in relationship with the church; some understand, others only rebel and try to create a party to defy leadership.

      Now about how we must treat an ex-communicated, we must understand that from a Christian view point he is a sinner in the Church and we must pray for him, we must respect his personallity, but we must take care that he may not harm other members of the Church with his words or acts.

      There are two types of sinners, those who repent and return to the Church and those who wont' repent.

      Of whom we are speaking???

      Aniss Ibrahim Sowmy
      Evangelical Deacon of the
      Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
      São Paulo - Brasil
    • Cecil Varughese
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2009
        Dear all,

        According to Decon Aniss Ibrahim Sowmy

        "When a priest is ex-communicated he looses his priesthood;" in that case how we can receive Holy communion from priests of Indian Orthodox Church? Or give baptism at Parumala (IOC) church?

        Cecil Varughese
        ID#890
      • Boby George Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2009
          Dear Friends,

          I wish to add the comment of Mr Cecil Varghese " "When a priest is ex-communicated he looses his priesthood" ; in that case how we will treat (HOW WE ARE TREATING NOW?) those returned from or left Indian Orthodox Church to join The Syriac Orthodox Church ???

          BOBY GEORGE - ID 4199
          From the desk of moderators

          A person is excommunicated from the Holy church due to his anti-church activates of all sorts, by the Patriarch in HH's capacity as the Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, and according to the spiritual powers vested with His Holiness by the Lord GOD.

          With the same spiritual powers vested with His Holiness, for those repent and willing to come back to the Holy mother church, His Holiness will forgive the excommunicated person and lift the excommunications, thus he will feel that the church is a compassionate mother who cares for her children and welcomes their return like the prodigal son who was accepted by his father, who gave him new clothing and put a ring on his hand. Thus, a new chapter will be opened for all to return to the bossom of the church with repentance and regrets and the church will forgive their sins.
        • S Chandy
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2009
            Yes, it is wrong to do so. We are not suppose to recieve any sacrements from the ex-communicated preiests or churches, where ever our churches are not there we can go to catholic churches are receive holy communion as we are in communion with them.

            S Chandy
            4167