Dorotheos of Gaza

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
      The first kind of humility is to hold my brother to be wiser than myself, and in all things to rate him higher than myself, and simply, as that holy man said, to put oneself below everyone. The second kind is to attribute to God all virtuous actions. This is the perfect humility of the saints. It is generated naturally in the soul by the performance of the commandments. It is just like a tree bearing much fruit: it is the fruit that bends the branches and lowers them down, but when there is no fruit, the branches point upwards and grow straight.

      Dorotheos of Gaza
      Discourses and Sayings
    • Benny
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2009
        Dear Mark Sadek.

        Noted your message...and thanks for to give a new thinking..

        ***
        it is the fruit that bends the branches and lowers them down, but when
        there is no fruit, the branches point upwards and grow straight.
        **

        Thanks.
        Benny
        ID 4190
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
          Because we become careless about our own faults and do not lament our own death (as the Fathers put it), we lose the power to correct ourselves and we are always at work on our neighbor. Nothing angers God so much or strips a man so bare or carries him so effectively to his ruin as calumniating, condemning, or despising his neighbor.

          Dorotheos of Gaza, Discourses and Sayings
        • The Orthodox Bookstore
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2011
            The Lenten Spring is welcomed by Christians in the Church not as the time for self-inflicted agony or self-improving therapy. It is greeted as the sanctified season consecrated for the correction, purification, and enlightenment of the total person through the fulfillment of the commandments of the crucified God.

            Dorotheos of Gaza, On the Holy Lenten Fast
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
              The holy apostles knowing this to be for the help and advancement of our souls, resolved for us to deliver up a tithe of the very days of our lives as if to consecrate them to God, so that we may be blessed in all our works, and each year to be unburdened of the whole year's sins.

              Dorotheos of Gaza: Discourses and Saying, On The Holy Lenten Fast