John Cassian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2009
      We are also taught about the morning service by what we are accustomed to sing every day: "God, my God, I look to you from the dawn." And: "In the morning I shall meditate upon you." And: "I anticipated the dawn, and cried out." And again: "My eyes have anticipated the break of day in order that I might meditate upon your words."

      John Cassian
      The Institutes, Book 3:10
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361306
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2009
        The end of our profession indeed, is the kingdom of God or
        the kingdom of heaven: but the immediate aim or goal, is purity of
        heart, without which no one can gain that end.

        John Cassian, Conference of Abbot Moses
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2011
          We must not think that anyone slips and comes to ruins by a sudden fall; it is rather he has been deceived by the beginnings of evil habits, or else by prolonged mental negligence virtue has little by little withdrawn from him and vices have thereby grown stronger and he has thus come to his miserable fall.

          John Cassian, Conference 17, Abbot Theodore