Chief Minister calls for truce at least for Christmas - Indian Express

  • Malankara Voice
    Message 1 of 1039 , Dec 17, 2002
      Chief Minister calls for truce at least for Christmas

      Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 16: Chief Minister A K Antony today appealed to the warring Malankara Church factions to cooperate with the Cabinet sub-committee in finding a solution to the vexed issue and asked them to declare a truce at least during Christmas time.

      “Even nations engaged in war stop fighting during Christmas. It would be very unfortunate if any untoward incidents happen during this time due to the conflict between the two factions. The Cabinet sub-committee met leaders of both sides once. The panel will continue with its efforts to find a solution and everyone should lend a helping hand,” the Chief Minister told reporters after the Cabinet meeting.

      Asked if the Government would implement the Supreme Court verdict on the issue, Antony said that the Government was only interested in settling the Church feud amicably. “We do not want to pit one faction against other. The Government is only interested in a solution. There is tension in various churches due to the row and this has caused concern among all sections of Keralites. However, I am optimistic of a solution,” he said.

      Replying to a question on the statement of Catholicos Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II that Oommen Chandy had told him that the Chief Minister was not ready to go by his advice on the Church issue, Antony evaded a direct reply, “It is not a simple issue and quite naturally there is no simple solution. So many mediatory efforts have failed. The Government held many informal talks and there were others like V.R.Krishna Iyer who tried to broker peace.”

    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards