Why we need these many number of bishops?

  • Varghese George
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hi All,

      Why all are worried about the IOC. Now both SOC and IOC are separate independent churches. Now almost all the issues are solved or people are totally not interested for these issues. Still some people unnecessarily want to put oil to the fire. Almost all areas in Kerala both have their own churches. People are worried about happenings in IOC, but they are not worried about the happenings in our churches. Please avoid these unwanted discussions in the forum.

      I have a question; can anyone answer? Why we need these many number of bishops? Is it seriously required?

      Regards
      Varghese Vazhamuttom
      Pathanamthitta
      ========================
      From the desk of the Moderator:

    • Sinu Philip
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2009
        Dear Mr George,
        With ref to your posting, my opinion is that we need more bishops. You know the problems which the people in the southern diocese have faced in the 1950s, when there were not enough� bishops for us. Now when we have 3 independent bishops for the 3 southern diocese, we can see the progress the church is making. In my opinion, bishops are the prince of the church and more numbers will increase the strength for the church.

        I personally would like to see independent bihops for Bombay, Bangalore, Chennai, Malabar, Far east, Perumbavoor sector of Angamaly diocese, Kothamangalam sector of angamaly diocese and even a full time bishop for strengthening the dayaras and convents (Bethany bishop).

        Regards
        Sinu Philip
        ID 3098
      • Georgy Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
          Dear Varghese

          We need at least 10 more bishops (full time) only for administration and growth of the following activities:

          Gospel and Missionary team
          Reunion Movement – (Bring back those believers who left the Holy Church)
          Students movement,
          Youth Movement,
          Sunday School,
          Dayara & Convents,
          Martha Mariyam Samajam,
          Public relation and media, and
          Ecumenical Affairs.

          Also more bishops to be ordained for new dioceses.

          In Christ

          Georgy
          3958

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Why all are worried about the IOC. Now both SOC and IOC are separate independent churches. Now almost all the issues are solved or people are totally not interested for these issues. Still some people unnecessarily want to put oil to the fire. Almost all areas in Kerala both have their own churches. People are worried about happenings in IOC, but they are not worried about the happenings in our churches. Please avoid these unwanted discussions in the forum.
          >
          > I have a question; can anyone answer? Why we need these many number of bishops? Is it seriously required?
          >
          > Regards
          > Varghese Vazhamuttom
          > Pathanamthitta
          > ========================
          > From the desk of the Moderator:
          >
          > Please sign your messages with member ID. If not having a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators
          > (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.

        • Varkey Titus
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
            Dear Varghese,

            I do agree with you in this 'number game' gimmicks of 'JSOC Methrans Nos' Vs 'IOC Methrans Nos'. Why we need these many number of Bishops, when there are so many 'jobless' Bishops available?? Is anybody thought about it seriously?? The largest Christian group in Kerala (Roman Catholics) got half number of our Bishops and yet they function very systematically. But as I see it, the 'Methran Vazhikkal' process now becomes as a 'show of strength' for JSOC and IOC. If JSOC ordains 3 methrans, IOC will ordain 4 methrans!!! Then next time JSOC ordains 5 methrans and boast about it, IOC will retaliate with ordination of 7 methrans!!! This number game will continue for the forseeable future.

            When the split started in 1970s, the Bishops ordained for JSOC was mockingly called by IOC people as "Vazhiyil Methrans"!!! But they were having the full support of the JSOC Church and they were running all over Malankara to administer the Churches in all dioceses. However, now it is becoming a reality for both JSOC & IOC that there are so many 'Vazhiyil Methrans' available in both churches!! Many Bishops ordained now are not having any diocese or enough work for them!! Many have to depend completely on the kaimuth received from conducting 'Marriage' and/or 'Burial' services, for their survival!!! Is it is justifiable for the heirarchy to ordain Bishops, without properly thinking about their future engagements?? Why can't the Church think about using the available Bishops properly for administration of many newly made dioceses?? I don't think the laity will never get any answers for these number game gimmicks in both Churches.

            Regards

            Varkey Titus
            Id # 1024

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I have a question; can anyone answer? Why we need these many number of bishops? Is it seriously required?

          • Geogy Abraham
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2009
              Dear Readers,

              It is know fact that our church Syrian jacobite church is in expansion in India as well as other parts of the world, as Malayali Syrian Christians are all over the world. I am sure there will be an agenda for the expansion of church, therefore they might require more no: of bishops.

              In case of Roman Catholics, priests are having major role/powers in decision making with regards to the church matters & missioneries. Moreover, they are already widely expandebd, therefore we are not aware regarding such matters.

              According to me Bava therumeni is creating diocese within India & Abroad; and inorder to administer these dioceses Sabha need more bishops. I really dont think that its competion between SOC & IOC. For outsider they might think it.

              With Prayers.

              Regards,
              Geogy Abraham
              4186
            • Varghese Vazhamuttom
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2009
                Regarding the reply from Sinu Philip & Georgy Thomas

                Both are commented like we need more bishops.

                I am agreeing there are times which we faced lots of problems/issues.
                Even my church is also a victim of these. So are we selecting the right person as a Bishop. We are always comparing everything with IOC. They have their own procedure to select a person as a Bishop. Are we following any procedure?

                We don't know on what basis they are selected as a Bishop? There are many rumors regarding this? Common people do not have any right to choose or elect?

                Regards
                Varghese Vazhamuttom
                Pathanamthitta

                From the desk of the Moderator: