Re: ORIENTAL ORTHODOX CHURCHES

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2009
      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

      > The Oriental Orthodox Churhes are:
      >

      > Now we have the Indian Orthodox Church under the Catholicose of the East which is in communion with all of the above except the Syriac Orthodox Church.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Mathew G M
      > 0929

      Dear Mr. Mathew

      The ground reality is differing from this. Both IOC and SOC in Malankara having 99% full communion.

      Both accept the Baptism of both churches (In 70ees this was different and I am one of the victim of it. My sister was re-baptized by the IOC bishop during her marriage). Fortunately or unfortunately it is not happening nowadays.

      Most of the laity from both sides attend Holy Qurbana and even partake in it.

      Clergies attend marriages and funeral services and actively participating including reading the "Sedars" and offering incenses.

      Prelates who attending the funeral of the bishops of both sides offering the incenses.

      All this shows they are almost in full communion.

      Let me recall the posting of Mr. Simon in the our forum (15896)

      It is my understanding that yes the Indian Orthodox Church has been excommunicated by the Holy Synod of the Syrian Orthodox Church. What this means is that a Syrian Orthodox Christian, in obedience to the Holy Synod, does not receive Holy Communion from Indian Orthodox altars.

      Unquote

      Now the question arises – are we, both clergy and laity, in obedience to the Holy Synod of the respective churches?

      I doubt, because, for majority the religion is a hobby or a part-time business and what ever its teachings are same as the doctrines of the political parties, nobody care about the afterlife or the impact of disobeying the spiritual guidelines.

      I noticed few instance in our Churches. There are clergies readout the Kalpana of HH, HB & HG in front of the Holy Mystery, but the same clergy practices against it or dilute the guidelines with his own explanation. Then how we can blame laity?

      Both churches must take strict actions. For the sake of loosing few fence sitting members if the authorities are diluting the seriousness of the spiritual guidelines, it will end up with another Sodom Gomora.

      May be I sound like a fanatic or even crazy, but this is the ground reality. Nobody can deny it.

      In Christ
      Aji Thomas David
      ID - 4088
    • Boby George Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2009
        During meetings of the HEADS of ORIENTAL ORTHODOX CHURCHES hosted by our HOLY FATHER why all the ORIENTAL ORTHODOX HEADS are not being invited. To the best of my knoledge only the following were invited 1. SYRIAC ORTHODOX CHURCH 2.COPTIC ORTHODOX CHURCH 3 ARMENIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH. I think this is because we have holy communion only with these churches. Ethiopian and Erithrean Churches are descenders or departed from the original Churches

        BG PAUL
        ID4199
      • Georgy Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2009
          I do agree with Mr. Aji. Few more clergy same as Eldo (UK) is still in our Church. The authority must list them as early as possible and remove them from our Church. Most of them are outside Kerala . Let them go to their devalokam godfathers. Why our poor people should feed these fence sitters. Those who are not in obedience to the Holy Synod must be removed regardless of their glorious past.

          I thank the moderators of the forum and editors of MSV for publishing all disciplinary action documents in the site. Else we the laymen will be in the dark and may fell in the traps of these people.

          Regards
          Georgy Thomas
          3958

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Aji Thomas David wrote:

          > Dear Mr. Mathew
          >
          > The ground reality is differing from this. Both IOC and SOC in Malankara having 99% full communion.
          >
          > Both accept the Baptism of both churches (In 70ees this was different and I am one of the victim of it. My sister was re-baptized by the IOC bishop during her marriage). Fortunately or unfortunately it is not happening nowadays.

        • Michael Poe
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2009
            Dear brother in Christ,

            All of the Oriental Orthodox churches are in complete union with one-another.They constitute the Syrian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eretrian Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, and the Malankara Orthodox Syrian church. They all are equel and are one in there pure Orthodox faith and truth.

            Your brother in Christ,
            Michael.
            From the desk of moderators

            Holy Syrian (Syriac) Orthodox Church is not in communion with Malankara Orthodox Syrian church at this time
          • Mathew G M
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2009
              Dear BG Paul,
              The meeting that you are referring to is the Middle Eastern Council of Churches to which only the Coptic Orthodox and Armenian Orthodox attended. The Ethiopian and Eritrean churches are African churches and not Middle Eastern churches and naturally they were not there.

              Ethipian or Eritrean churches has not introduced any heretical teachings and the Syriac Orthodox Church is in FULL communion with these churches. Our clergy including Bishops co-celeberate the divine liturgy with these churches. So please dont make such claim about sister churches.

              In Christ,
              Mathew G M
              # 0929

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2009
                Dear Mr. Paul

                The meeting you referring may be a meeting of Middle East OO church, more details of such meetings please refer the following link

                The tenth meeting of the heads of the oriental orthodox churches in the middle east
                http://www.socmnet.org/Resource_OO_Common_Decleration_Syria_2007.htm
                Common declaration of these meetings are available in SOCMNET
                http://www.socmnet.org/Resource.htm

                Our Church is fully communion with Ethiopian and Eritrean churches and our prelates do concelebrate Sacraments. Please refer the following old messages in this forum
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCM-FORUM/message/7764

                In Christ
                Aji Thomas David
                ID - 4088