Re Head Of The Universal Church

  • Geogy Abraham
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2009
      Dear Mathew,
      I agree with your statement.

      So in an ideal world can't the Syriac Orthodox Church have the same relationship or even a better relationship with the Indian Orthodox Catholicate that the SOC currently has with the Ethiopian Patriarcahte ? Can we get there?
      Unquote.

      Syrian Orthodox Church is very well happy to accept the Indian Orthodox Church as a brotherly church. It is Indian Orthodox Church who is filing cases against Patriarch of Antioch & Catholicose. Here in Malankara the real dispute is for properties of Churches. Syrian Orthodox Church in India are ready to compromise by conduction elections in all church where dispute exist under supervision of government authorities. The majority will take the church the major properties and the minority can take piece of land to built their church, if not, if minority part has to cooperate with the majority.

      If foresaid is done, then there will be no issues, which will help churches in building a good relationship.

      But will this message go to Indian Orthodox Church Catholicose & their Synod.

      Regards,
      Geogy
      Geogy Abraham
      4186
    • Mathew
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2009
        Dear Geogy,
        Are we really ready to accept the Indian Orthodox Church in full communion. Two churches in full communion and two sister churches are not the same thing. We can say for example the Marthoma Church and the Jacobite Churches are sister churches, but we were not in full communion.

        Two churches in full communion means, all the sacraments (koodasha's) administered by one church is acceptable to the other church. All the saints of one church is accepted as a saint by the other church as well.

        We have no issues with the Marthoma Church, but we don't consider all their sacraments at the same exact level of our sacraments.

        If our difference with the IOC is only about property, then let us clearly state that. What we see is a lot of people say that IOC does not have priesthood, their sacraments are not valid etc. So how can we be in fully communion with a church if we believe that they dont have priesthood and their sacraments are not valid.

        I see a lot of move towards UNITY. It would be great if we can work towards restoring full communion. Then we can talk about UNITY to parting ways peacefully.

        In Christ,
        Mathew.
        0929