Paulos Shleeha dhanyan .....

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2009
      Dear moderators

      Many of us recitate or write "Paulos Shleeha dhanyan CHOLKATTE Nithevam".

      In many OF our churches I have noticed people and choir making the same mistake, Actually It is CHOL KAETAEN ITHAEVAM. Which means: "I heard the blessed Apostle Paul saying like this" - Dhanyanaaya paulose shleeha iprakaaram parrayunnathu njaan Kaettu.

      Let us try to recitate our prayers properly.
      In Christ

      Aji Thomas David
      ID - 4088
    • Geevar.K
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2009
        I did wrote similar article about the modification of our Holy Qurbana karamam. There are changes to the Old version "Paulose Shleeha dhanyan chol- kate nithevam" to " Paulose Sheleeha dhanyan chol- kete nithevam". So contrast is " Cholkate" or "Chol" and "Kete". If you consider whole line " Dhanyanaya Paulose Sleha eprakam cholkate" it means as per the english transalation done by C.K Varghese in " The living sacrifice" States Paul the blessed saint, the Lords Apostle said. If you continue reading the song you can under what did Paulose sleha said. In new version they added a "EA" infront of "KA" made it "KAE" ( "kaetenethevam" insted of "katenithevam")so meaning changed to " Dhanyanaya paulose Sleha eprakaram cholunathu kettu". If any one attended 10 the class Malayalam and learned poetry you know that if there is a sign(-) after a letter it need to read with the begining of the next line. So if you look at the old version you can see a (-) after "Chol" then next line started like "kate". If your are singing the song it will be sounded as "Cholkate" (Said)So what is right " Let St.Paulose tell us" or " we are going to be hearing like this" There is big change in the meaning of the song. What is correct?

        Geevar.K
        St. Thomas Orthodox Church.
        Warren. MI

        ========================
        From the desk of the Moderator:

      • Cecil K. Varghese
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
          Dear Geevar.K,

          I appreciate your vision and knowledge in church rhymes. I have a question why we need a change for all these today? Many years we used thoese songs without checking the Malayalam grammar´┐Żwith "sabdataravali", I believe the message is clear in the song so let it go like that. If you see there were so many things need change, we can see same sentence in different way printed and people using for many years.For example in "viswasapramanam" in some books "vachanmaya daivam" is used and in other books "daivamaya vachanam" is printed. In one of the songs of Morning Prayer "rakshkanakum mashihayee" used in some books; and in other "rakshkanaya" if you go deep in to each and every words you can find difference of meaning. So I believe the meaning is clear in the old editions. Only one solution is that use the book approved by Holy synod that is published by seminary publications to avoid confusion.

          Cecil K. Varghese
          Houston
          ID #890
        • Cecil
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2009
            Dear all

            I made a mistake in my previous posting (For example in "viswasapramanam" in some books "vachanmaya daivam") this words are in the fifth tubden not in viswasapramanam. Please accept my apology.

            Thanks
            Cecil
            ID #890