Re: Transubstantiation or Consubstantiation

  • Rev. Dn. Joshy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2009
      Dear Madam Leena,

      The SOC or IOC don't believe in Transubstantiation or Consubstantiation. The former is the faith of the Catholic church, since the 4th Lateran Council (AD.1215) and it is based on the theory that the substance is changed after the invocation. But the Orthodox churches (and SOC) believes that the substance do not change, but remain as bread and wine itself. But it is at the same time the body and blood of Jesus Christ. We do not describe how is it. But we say that it is a mystery "roso" (in Syriac), which the human intellect cannot perceive. Our fathers have written about the mysteries in connection with Jesus Christ's economy. Even the dwelling in the womb, His birth, etc. etc., all were mysteries which we cannot perceive fully.

      [A brief description about Transubstantiationin is given in Kanyamparambil Achan's Sabhacharithram (p.571?) under the small head "Vasthu bhaetham".]

      Also, once before I found you writing something meaning, SOC believe in 'Monophysitism'. It is not exactly correct. This is what Roman church believed as SOC believe. But our belief is Miaphysitism.

      Miaphysitism holds that in the one person of Jesus Christ, Divinity and Humanity are united in one "nature" ("physis"), the two being united without separation, without confusion, and without alteration. (mia=one)

      See the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miaphysitism

      For more information, please search the internet, or theological books on Christology, for details.

      In our Lord,
      Dn. Joshy