Christology of the Oriental Orthodox-non chalcedonian Church

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2009
      Dear sister in Christ,Leena,

      Our church is not monophosyte.We believe and follow the pure orthodox doctrine as explained by St.Cyrill of Alexandria and Severus of Antioch of the Christological formula of the one incarnate nature of the logos-word.We believe and know that our Lord is perfect God and perfect man in one composite nature.Miaphysite is the proper term.Our Lord is from 2 natures,divine and human,but in one composite nature.Monophosyte is a misnomer implying we deny one of the 2 natures our Lord incarnated in.We know and except the pure orthodox doctrine that our Lord is perfect God and perfect man,2 hypostasis but united in one perfect,composite nature. This is the mystery of the divine incarnation of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ as held by the Oriental Orthodox church.We share the same Christology as the Byzantine-Chalcedonian churches but due to politics and semantics the catastrophic separation that occured at chalcedon happened,as both sided professed the formula expounded by St.Cyril of alexandria,but expressed it with differences of emphasis.

      Your's humbly in Christ,
      Michael.