History Behind the Beginning of the 8 day Lent in September

  • Very Rev. Joseph Karippayil Corepisopa
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2009
      History Behind the Beginning of the 8 day Lent in September
      by Corepisopa Joseph Karippayil

      The eight day lent period is not a canonical one for the Church but is observed by the Syrian Christians in India and also in the Arabian countries. In our Diptychs (AKA the "Thubden") we read that Mar Kyrollos, in the synod of Ephesus in AD 341, defended Mother Mary as the `Bearer of God', Virgin Mother etc. This shows how much importance our Church bestows upon Mother Mary. We believe in her intercessory prayers as well. All over the world we have so many churches consecrated in her name.

      There are different versions about the origin of the lent. Ettunoyambu - as it is called in Malayalam – the eight day lent from the 1st to the 8th of September. The narration given below is by Bar Ebroyo, which seems more convincing.

      To read more:- http://www.socdigest.org/articles/03sep09.html