Symeon the New Theologian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
      When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even
      if he were to be surrounded by wicked men. He has the fear of God within him and wears the invincible armor of faith. This makes him strong and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or impossible to most people.

      Such a man is like a giant surrounded by monkeys, or a roaring lion among dogs and foxes. He goes forward trusting in the Lord and the constancy of his will to strike and paralyze his foes. He wields the blazing club of the Word in wisdom.

      Symeon the New Theologian, The Practical and Theological Chapters
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2010
        Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

        There is a death, which precedes physical death and a resurrection of souls, which precedes the resurrection of bodies - by means of deeds, experience, power, and truth. For when mortal wisdom is destroyed by immortal, mind and death is banished by life. Then the soul, as it were raised from the dead, sees itself clearly, as one awakened from sleep, and knows the God Who has resurrected it. Thinking of Him and giving thanks to Him, it rises above the limits of the senses and of the whole world, filled with unspeakable delight, and thus stills every mortal movement.

        Symeon the New Theologian
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2011
          "Just as the farmer wearies himself by merely plowing, digging and sowing the seed on the ground, but it grows and produces fruit early and late (cf. Jms. 5:7) by God's gift, so it is in reality, as you will discover, in spiritual matters. It belongs to us to engage in every activity and with much toil and weariness to sow the seeds of virtue, but by God's gift and mercy alone the rain of His loving-kindness and grace falls and causes the unfruitful soil of our hearts to bear fruit. When the grain of the word falls on our souls it receives the moisture of God's goodness; it germinates, grows, and becomes a great tree (cf. Mt. 13:31-32), that is, it attains to mature manhood, to 'the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ' (Eph. 4:13)."

          Symeon the New Theologian, The Discourses
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19 6:07 PM
            How do I worship You within me, and how do I see You far away?

            How do I observe You in myself, and see You in heaven?
            You alone know this, You who do these things and shine like the Sun in my
            material heart immaterially.
            You who made the light of your glory to shine through me, my God,
            by means of your apostle, disciple, and servant,
            the all-holy Symeon , shine upon me even now
            and teach me to sing hymns to him in the Spirit.

            Symeon the New Theologian, Hymn 7, Divine Eros
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2013
              Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

              Cheerfulness consists in not regarding things as our own, but as entrusted to us by God for the benefit of our fellow-servants. It consists in scattering them abroad generously with joy and magnanimity, not reluctantly or under compulsion.

              Symeon the New Theologian, The Discourses
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/4898128/symeon-the-theologian