Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
      The fruits of the inner man begin only with the shedding of tears. When you reach the place of tears, then know that your spirit has come out from the prison of this world and has set its foot upon the path that leads to the new age. Your spirit begins at this moment to breathe the wonderful air which is there, and it starts to shed tears.
      Isaac the Syrian

      As quoted by
      John Climacus in "The Ladder of Divine Ascent"
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 24, 2009
        Do not be inept in the requests you make to God, otherwise you will insult God through your ignorance.

        Isaac the Syrian
        From: The Wisdom of St Isaac the Syrian
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
          Meditation on the scriptures teaches the soul the discourse with God.

          Isaac the Syrian
          From: Orthodox Prayer Life
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 19, 2010
            As children are not born without a mother, so passions are not born
            without distraction of the mind, and sin is not committed without
            parley with the passions.

            Isaac the Syrian
            On Ascetical Life
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 14 7:13 PM
              Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

              O my Hope, pour into my heart the inebriation that consists in the hope of you. O Jesus Christ, the resurrection and light of all worlds, place upon my soul’s head the crown of knowledge of you; open before me all of a sudden the door of mercies, cause the rays of your grace to shine out in my heart.

              Isaac the Syrian
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27 7:46 PM
                Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

                Blessed is the person who has eaten of the bread of Love, which is Jesus.

                Isaac the Syrian
                The Wisdom of Saint Isaac the Syrian
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2010
                  Before you fall ill, search out a doctor for yourself. Before difficulties come upon you, pray; then when the time of distress comes, you will discover prayer, and it will provide an answer for you.

                  Isaac the Syrian
                  From: The Wisdom of Isaac the Syrian
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                    If you love the truth, love silence. This will make you illumined, sun-like, in God; it will deliver you from the illusions of ignorance.

                    Isaac the Syrian
                    The Wisdom of Issac the Syrian
                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
                      When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.

                      Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2940549/the-spiritual-world-of-isaac-syrian
                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
                        If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned
                        about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe
                        that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide
                        for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why
                        even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He
                        will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes
                        you.

                        Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the
                      • Mark Sedrak
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
                          It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
                          to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
                          time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
                          they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
                          against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
                          would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
                          quite some time.

                          Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy