Primacy of Peter dialogue

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2009
      Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,there has been much disscusion as of late regarding the issue of the primacy of Peter and his role in the early church and the role of the apostolic succesion following in his patriarchate and holy see.

      It is clearly his profession of faith and clear recognition of our Lord, God and saviour Jesus Christ's divinity that our Lord referred to as the rock upon which he would build his holy church. Peter was the first bishop of Antioch for 8 yrs before he went to Rome and became bishop in Rome untill his blessed martryrdom.

      A matter of great importance seems not to be given the attention due in regards to the pre-eminance of the importance of St.Jame's, the brother of our Lord and his undeniable role as the first bishop of Jerusalem and head of the original church after the holy ascension of our Lord. St.Jame's held equal if not more authority than St.Peter and this can be clearly seen in holy scripture in the book of acts and the beautiful epistle written by the holy St.James.

      The Syrian Orthodox church, being the original church next to and after Jerusalem, inherited the essence of the original mother church of Jerusalem and has the unique prestige of rightfully claiming this holy privelige of honour.

      Your humble brother in Christ,
      Michael