Re: St. Peter and his compatriot in the Church

  • Paul Joshy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Dear Rinu

      The way you interpret the role of St. Peter and his compatriot in the Church seems that Christianity originated in Devalokam Aramana, but you conspicuously forget 2000 long history of Christianity in which both syriac and non-syriac including Catholic fathers codified true faith and believes according to custom-history-believes they practised. When the 3 historical synods of all the churches and Chaldeon of the Catholics happened, none of them questioned the authority of St. Peter rather unanimous about the Supremacy St.Peter in the Church. Even when the role of St. Mary was the hot topic of discussion in the Synods particularly in Ephesus and Catholic was not ready to accept St. Mary as the way Syrians followed, Catholics lately accepted St. Mary as the Mother of God and believes the way Syriac fathers preached. Are the Holy fathers who attended the 3 Synods fool because they upheld the authority of St. Peter in Christianity???????

      So it is now up to you and IOC can decide what role should be given to St. Peter and the relationship between him and other Apostles. If you believe all Apostles are equal Christianity allows you to believe in your own way as Marthomites believe. For Marthomites Saints are cheaters and no role for St. Peter and St. Paul in their denomination except as just followers of Jesus Christ. Similarly many Pentecostal groups preach bishops and hierarchy are anathema to Jesus Christ�s teachings (they can quote lot of sentences from the bible of Jesus Christ�s words). So can you say they are anti-Christ in true sense because they don�t follow the dictates of the Catholicose of the East (Didimos I) who proclaimed that above his head there is no authority other than God so whatever he says is God�s words. Whatever Didimos says can be a God�s word for IOC not for Others.

      Similarly until 1970 IOC followed supremacy of St. Peter till Vattakkunnel Bawa 'enlighted' by the throne of St. Thomas. For your clarity it would be better to ask some elders of IOC about the role of St. Peter upon him IOC had given till then. Prior to that division was only for hierarchy or the interpretation of relationship between the Patriarch of Antioch and Catholicose of the East.

      So Peace can be achievable but not unity, unity is a "Malarpodikkarante Swapnam Mathram".

      J M. Paul
    • Rinu Sam
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2009
        Dear J.M.Paul

        I am not a Advoate for IOC. I am out of Kerala/India and attend Coptic church, where by they gave me orthodox study Bible. I read and follow that bible.coptic church is a member of oriental orthodox family.what is unity or peace in Jesus Christ you do not understand.please do not drag me into church politics/fued.

        May Almighty God keep us Unity and Peace

        With Prayers

        Rinu Sam
        ID#4038