Angel sprinkling Panineer on Hananiah

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      The following is the 3rd stanza from the Bovooso of Mor Aphrem that we sing during the night (Raathri) prayer from the Sleeba Namaskaram :

      Panineer Hananiah aadyar mel
      Veezhtiyoraa maalakha than
      Mruthar than asthi koottathil
      Krupayam neer veeztheedenam

      You can listen to the hymn at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ngj5ee

      Hananiah is the original Hebrew name of Shadrach (Sedrach). Hananiah's name was changed to Shadrach at the behest of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. (Daniel 1: 7 )

      In Daniel 3: 19- 25 we can see how Shadrach (Hananiah) and his companions were put into the fiery furnace by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, for refusing to give up the true God. In this passage we can also see how they were miraculously untouched by the fire.

      In the Greek Septuagint Bible, there are 67 additional verses between verses 23 and 24 of Chapter 3. These 67 verses is referred to as the 'Song of the Three Children'. Of these extra 67 verses in Chapter 3, in verse 25 and 26 we read "...the angel of the Lord came down into the oven...And made the midst of the furnace as it had been a moist whistling wind, so that the fire touched them not at all..."

      http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/Daniel/index.htm

      The Latin Vulgate version that is used by the Catholic Church also has these extra verses in Daniel Chapter 3. (Verses 49 and 50 in the link below)

      http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=32&c=3

      So I am guessing this moisture that the Angel sprinkled on Hananiah and his companions with in the fiery furnace is Mor Aphrem is referring to in the above given hymn when we sing "Panineer Hananiah aadyar mel Veezhtiyoraa maalakha.."

      Can anyone please confirm this.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      # 0929