Re: Petrine Supremacy

  • Rev. Fr. T.George
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
      Dear Moderator,

      I, with all due respect and humility, tend to differ your point of argument in proving the Petrine Supremacy in the holy Church. Please note that 'Petrine Supremacy' is a later interpolation in the church and that too adopted as a doctrine in 800 AD by the Roman Catholic church to support their claim of the throne of St. Peter at Rome. No Orthodox Churches accept this concept. The reference to the word 'Rock' as said in Mathew 16:18 has nothing to do with the 'Person'- st.Peter. It is as a reference to the 'faith' professed by St Peter when asked who Jesus was. It is clear from the prayer by the celebrant for the 6th diptychs given in our holy Qurbana Taksa. It reads thus: "Establish us by Thy grace O Lord, upon the 'rock' of the Orthodox faith of the three holy ecumenical synods...." The word 'rock' used in the Holy Bible has always been indicative of Jesus or God(Genesis 49:24,Psalms 19:14,Isaiah 26:4). The rock on which Jesus would build his church has been identified as Jesus himself(his work of salvation by dying for us on the cross.) It seems most likely that the rock refers to Peter as the leader of the church (for his function, not necessarly his character.)You said, "When Christ gave his own name "Kepha" to Simon he was giving him participation in the person and office of Christ". If so, do you believe that St.Peter was given the equal status of Jesus as One of the three 'persons' in the holy Trinity?.Has St.Peter been incorporated into the Godhead? It is sometimes suggested that because the word for 'rock'(petra) differs from the name Petros, the 'rock' referred to is not Peter himself but the confession he has just made of Jesus as Messaish. In Aramaic, however, the same term 'kefa' would appear in both places,the change in Greek is due to the fact that 'petra', the normal word for rock, is feminine in gender ,and therefore not suitable as a name for Simon!

      Please try to understand the Bible, tradition of the holy Orthodox Church in its true sense and teach others accordingly.

      May God give us more wisdom to undertand His Word.
      God bless us,
      With Prayers,
      George Achen, Ireland.
      Fr. T.George , St.Peter's &St.Paul's Orthodox Syrian Church.
      Drogheda.
    • S Chandy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hi Simon,
        Found some links on Hidden Perl, dont know whether you have seen it.
        http://www.bethsuryoyo.com/currentevents/aramean/aramean.html
        In HIS love
        S Chandy

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Simon wrote:

        > Dear Fr Boby Thomas,
        >

        > Also does anyone know the best place someone living in United Kingdom can buy The Hidden Pearl on DVD? I have watched it on video but I understand it is now available on DVD and I would buy a copy not only for myself but also to educate and teach our people more in the glories of the beloved Syrian Orthodox Church.
      • Rinu Sam
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
          Dear Moderators

          Thankyou very much for your enlightment of "Rock"/Kepha as per syriac tradtion.

          However please note that during the time of transfiguration Jesus did not call SimonPeter as Kepha.Peter's declaration about Jesus as Christ the Messiah was six days before transfiguration and at the same time immediately after his declaration (son of Living God)Jesus told Peter "Get away from me, Satan"..........because these thoughts of yours don't come from God but from man.(mathew 16:23)
          It is The Faith Confessed by Peter" Rock" on the Faith of Peter Jesus Built his Church Peter,James and John were Called Pillars of Church. They were also called the Leaders of Church(Galatian2:9). The Cornerstone being Christ Jesus and the foundation laid by Apostles and prophets the church was built(Ephes2:20-21).The Authority Jesus Gave his apostles/disciples well described in Mathew28:19-20.this is how church was formed after the resuurection Jesus christ. Authority and Position are two different aspects. Peter was the Leader of Apostles/Disciples.I am not denying his position as the leader of disciples. What Leena Mathew wrote Peter was given authority to guide the sheeps. If Look at gospel of St.John 21:15-19 Jesus called Peter as Simon, son of John. He is not called as Kepha here and guiding the sheeps was not THE AUTHORITY given by Jesus to Peter. Jesus Reinstated Peter because of his denial before crucification.

          I was only trying to show this and nothing else.I was not Supporting IOC but as A Christian I am intersted in Peace and Unity In The Church of Christ.Beacuse of the feud in Malankara many orthodox/jacobite christians left orthodxy and joined in other denominations My unreseved apology to the moderators for any confusion.

          With Prayers
          RinuSam
          ID#4038