Re: Sunday School English Books

  • Mrs. Betcy Thotakat
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2009
      Dear moderators

      I endorse the message from Moolelachen. Malankara Syrian Orthodox Sunday School Association (MSOSSA) of North America (affiliated to MJSSA) was able to prepare Sunday School books in English under the leadership of Chev. James John, Carteret NJ. He served as the Director of MSOSSA, till 2005. Text books up to Class 1 thru 3 were done with thorough proof reading. The books for the rest of the classes (4 - 10) needed more detailed review. I had the opportunity to part take in many of these painstaking efforts. We had many obstacles to pass and challenges to over come. However we did as much as we can with in our means and time with the support and blessings of our Archbishop. Archdiocese met the cost for printing and transporting. All the Sunday schools in this Archdiocese are now using these text books. We have centralized tenth grade exam since 2005.

      Even though these books need revisions, it paved way to establish unified syllabus and timetable. Now we need more reprints for lower grades as well as design/develop text books for class 11 and 12. Mr. Mathew G.M mentioned in a previous posting that he has copies of Class 11 and Class 12 books. I'm interested to get a copy. Since I took over as Director of MSOSSA we are working on a curriculum for senior classes. We have a book review committee who is eagerly looking at options and materials towards that regard. Currently our students in these classes are having bible study (led by an elder member of the local church or vicar) during the Sunday school class sessions. Children in this age group are very much interested to delve and learn more about Orthodoxy and Bible. We have many talented teachers. A solid curriculum is a need of the time.

      It was with great joy myself and my fellow teachers received the news - "H.E. Kuriakose Mor Dioscorus, president of MJSSA, has taken the necessary arrangements to translate and update the Sunday School books into English."

      Hats off to SOCM!

      We are willing to join in these efforts.

      In Christ,
      Mrs. Betcy Thotakat
      Director MSOSSA in North America
      (Bthota90@...)