Position of Evangelion Table

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
      Dear moderators and members

      Thanks for everyone who clarified the doubt on leather products in the Holy Altar.

      Let me table one more doubt. This is regarding "Evangelion Table". In Malankara I saw it is placed in different places. Some church it's kept in the right side of the Altar and some churches its kept in the left side of the Altar. But in both case it is far away from the Altar. In some churches we only see this when the Evangelion is read and rest of the time it is used as ordinery table to keep some books, bell or arm rest of the Altar Boys.

      I am sure this Table has some meaning, else why our forefathers would have used it.

      What I understand and seen in our Syriac Churches of the other part of the world, its kept always in front of the Altar – the same place when the Evangelion is read - or at the left side of the Altar, but very close to the Altar.

      If I am wrong, please correct me, else why our Churches are placing it in different ways?

      Hope some one will like Divanaisios Thirumeni or respected deacons or Chevalier Thomas Daniel Reji will come with some explanation.

      In HIS Love
      Aji Thomas David
      4088
    • Reji
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
        Dear Aji
        Shlomo

        What you said is fully correct.

        "Evangelion Table" must be kept always in front of the madhbho – the same place where, when the Evangelion is read - or at the left side (north) of the madhbho close to the Thronos.

        As per my limited knowledge, "Evangelion Table" represents, (1) Throne of our Lord, (2) Mother Mary and in every church the left side of the Altar is dedicated to her only.

        But unfortunately, we do not practice our traditions or follow the foot steps of our forefathers. Or may be majority of our Clergies are not trained on these sort of fundamental things, so they are not looking after these important practices.

        I think this is one of the negative point of the so called new generation seminary curriculum. Eventhough I am not against the Seminary education, I think in the old system of training given under a 'malpan achen', the students gets the necessary teachings on fundamental practices. So it may be a point for our Seminary authorities to look into the curriculam or for our Church to enforce a standardized practice for all churches in Malankara on fundamental things.

        I hope and pray that our church will bring back the old time seminary methods at least for one year of the present seminary course. By HIS grace, we do have the infrastructure in our Holy Church in Malankara itself.

        In HIS Love

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Aji Thomas David wrote:

        > Dear moderators and members
        >

        > Let me table one more doubt. This is regarding "Evangelion Table". In Malankara I saw it is placed in different places. Some church it's kept in the right side of the Altar and some churches its kept in the left side of the Altar. But in both case it is far away from the Altar. In some churches we only see this when the Evangelion is read and rest of the time it is used as ordinery table to keep some books, bell or arm rest of the Altar Boys.

      • Very Rev. Mani Rajan Cor Episcopa
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
          Dear moderator,

          Lectern (gogultho - Syriac) is the pulpit which symbolises the hieghts of Mount Sinai form where God spoke to Moses and handed him the stone tablets (Exodus 34:2). Matthew 5:1 tells us that Christ went up a mountain to preach the Gospel to the multitude.

          Lectern should be respected like the altar (the throne Jesus Christ) because the Book of Gospel points to Christ himself. After the East, the North is given prominence (cf. Exodus 26: 33-35; Exodus 40:22, Leviticus 1:11; Job 23:8-9; Job 37:22 Ezekiel 8::5). Therefore, the Lectern which is the small altar is placed on the North, next to the altar. During the celebration of the Holy Mass, it placed on the North after reading the Gospel. On other occasions it is placed at the centre of the madhb'ho at the Western side which can be kissed by those who enter the church.

          Our liturgy and traditions are rich and precious, founded in the Bible but not properly dealt in current writings.

          Cor Episcopa Mani Rajan
        • Shinu Jesus Abraham
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
            Greetings to All

            Thanks for detailed explanation from all the elders on the subject. But very recently I did attend a class by one of our metropolitan were H.G. did mention that the Evangelion Table can be on the southern side of the altar even, which signifies "Suviseshathil koodi Aaradhana".

            I am no one to debate on the same and just wrote what I have seen in many parishes as well as what I learned in that class. All these just shows the wide gaps in our understanding of the traditions and practices followed.

            Recently Mr. Aji did raise his concern on the unusually big clock hanging on the inappropriate place in the church. I had many more doubts from the same.

            http://malankarasyriacvoice.com/Albums/JubileeceleberationsofRevTJJosephCorepiscopa/dsc07773.html

            1. Is it right to keep the Madhbaha so casually open w/o the thiraseela?
            2. Is it right to keep the Madhbaha open w/o even a single wax candle been lighted?
            3. What is the meaning of using golden and silver cross used in place of the traditional plain wooden cross in the highest place of the holy Thronos?
            4. What do the plastic flowers represent in the holy Altar and holy Thronos?

            One more thing I would like to highlight is the latest enthusiasm in celebrating Dasabdhi, Jubilee, golden jubilee...etc. A couple of years back I happened to witness a depressing reaction from someone in authority of MJSSA, when approached by some faithful appealing to honor their Sunday school headmaster by the JSOC/MJSSA who has been the "HEAD MASTER" for over 60 years. I wish Dioscorus Thirumeni will take appropriate steps to honor and say thanks to these souls on behalf of all JSOC, who are the real gems of our church.

            Regards
            Shinu Jesus Abraham
            Member ID # 2908