Sunday School Books - English transalation

  • Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 4:19 AM
      Dear All,

      I am prepared to help in translating the Suday School books. Vinod from Singapore in an earlier posting mentioned that somebody has soft copy of these books. If so, why do it again. I am not interested in wasting time by repeating the same work.

      Let me tell in advance that the translation will take time and it cannot be done in a week or a month. May be 2-3 months will be a reasonable time to translate one textbook. I am not sure who will coordinate the work (editing & proof reading). I had a phone call from a clergy (Bangalore) to enquire whether I can help in this.  Yes I can, after  all this is my Church.

      Corepiscopa Mani Rajan
    • Vinod Verghese
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
        Dear Moderators

        When the English translations were released, the syllabus of some higher Classes were revised and hence these translations became obselete.

        The revised malayalam text books of these classes were translated into English and soft copy handed over to Chev (Adv) Benjamin Paul (Office bearer of MJSSA). This happened some 2 years back and I do not know what happened after that. Also I am not sure if the syllabus has been revised hence.

        In a previous mail, I had emphasised the need for making changes so that the books become more attractive to the students. This I feel is most important. Dependence on text books alone is an old fashioned form of learning and especially in this age when children are exposed to all forms of electronic media they tend to be more attracted to such forms and give less importance to Sunday school and books.

        In our text books, not even a single picture is to be found. Pictures are available in the net which easily explain the subject that is being taught Also, large chapters should be replaced with lesser texts and more of pictures or images.

        Every chapter should be designed in such a way that more relevance is given to the cream of the subject and unnecessary explanations trying to explain each and every item to the minutest details have to be avoided.By these long explanations, from my experience I have understood that children tend to get bored and ultimately end up understanding nothing and so the idea behind writing all this is lost.

        Also examinations have to be made lighter so that chidren should not fear these and have an aversion toward the same. In the past, we have seen that many children fail in exams and with that they stop coming to Sunday School.

        So changes are required to overcome all these and make our Sunday school more effective and meaningful.

        I would request all those who love the church to come forward with thier suggestions in improving the curriculum as well as teaching methods.

        Church can initiate a committee to take these opininons in the right sense and implememt the good ones so that our church will have a good future.

        Rgds
        Vinod
        4138

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopa wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > I am prepared to help in translating the Suday School books. Vinod from Singapore in an earlier posting mentioned that somebody has soft copy of these books. If so, why do it again. I am not interested in wasting time by repeating the same work.

      • Varkey Titus
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
          Dear Vinod,

          Thank you for your revelation of the FACTS about MJSSA's 'inaction', about which outside Kerala churches always complaints!!!! See brothers, here we got one more solid example. The new text books translations were done TWO YEARS BEFORE AND HANDED OVER TO A RESPONSIBLE PERSON (OFFICE BEARER)OF MJSSA!!!! What happend after that? Nobody knows, and the fact remains that till now, such text books are not printed by the MJSSA!!! The translations were done by somebody at his own time and took the pain to deliver it to an 'office bearer' of MJSSA. You see how irresponsible is their action on it!!! They are sitting on top of this translations for TWO YEARS, without doing anything for printing and distributing to the much needy Sunday School children of Outside and Inside Kerala!! This
          one example shows the idiotic behaviour of the people sitting in MJSSA's office, who are only vying for keeping their positions, to get some other personal benefits from the Church, using their positions in MJSSA!!!!

          Dear brothers, did you noticed how long this issue is discussing in the Forum,by many esteemed members, showing genuine examples?? See the sincere message of Corepisocopo Dr. Mani Rajan, saying 'It is my Churh', and is ready to help. But who is responsbile to utilize his services, other than MJSSA?? Did any one of these so called MJSSA office bearers tried to reply to any of these messages? No. They are defenseless, as they know what they are doing!!! However, it is pathetic to know that NONE OF OUR CHURCH OFFICIALS OR BISHOPS ALSO never tried to reply to any of our messages. This is our Church!!! To whom we will complain?? No one is listening and nothing is going to change, unless we unite to twist their arms to get what we want!! Take a decision as a parish, not to contribute to any of the MJSSA or Church or Bishop initiated collections, until we get ENGLISH SUNDAY SCHOOL TEXT BOOKS AND VBS MATERIALS. Let us see what happens then!!!

          Regards

          Varkey Titus
          Member Id # 1024

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Vinod Verghese wrote:

          > Dear Moderators
          >
          > When the English translations were released, the syllabus of some higher
          Classes were revised and hence these translations became obselete.

          > The revised malayalam text books of these classes were translated into English
          and soft copy handed over to Chev (Adv) Benjamin Paul (Office bearer of MJSSA).
          This happened some 2 years back and I do not know what happened after that. Also
          I am not sure if the syllabus has been revised hence.

        • Eldo Daniel
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
            I am also interested in helping in preparing Sunday school and VBS books. We can use technology to co-ordinate our work. For example, we can use 'google docs' to share our work online.

            Best,
            Eldo Daniel
            St. Mary's, DC
            4135

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan Corepiscopa wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I am prepared to help in translating the Suday School books. Vinod from Singapore in an earlier posting mentioned that somebody has soft copy of these books. If so, why do it again. I am not interested in wasting time by repeating the same work.

          • Mathew G M
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
              There was a lot of discussion here recently about MJSSA Sunday School Text books in English. I know MJSSA did publish Englsh Text books all the way from Class 1 to Class 12 in 2003. I have copies of all these text books with me.

              Also there was a comment about how dry these text books are, because they dont have any pictures illustrating the text for the children. These MJSSA text books have a lot of pictures in them.

              Click on the link below to see the cover page, preface, contents and some of the lessons with pictures from the MJSSA Class One text book that was published in 2003.

              http://picasaweb.google.com/malankarasyriacorthodox/MJSSA#

              In Christ,
              Mathew G M
              # 0929