A new Jacobite chapel in the name of St. George in Thiruvananthapuram

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2009
      A new chapel in the name of St. George under St. Peters Jacobite Syrian Simhasana Cathedral has been started at Peroorkada, Thiruvananthapuram on 01.08.2009. The first Holy Qurbono was celebrated by Rev. Fr. Daniel Joseph Edapulavan , Vicar of St. Peters JSS Cathedral. The Holy Qurbono was attended by Rev.Fr. Abraham Kattathara, Vicar of St. Mary�s JSS church, Pongumoodu TVPM and Rev. Dn. Dr. Paul Samuel. Hundreds of faithful attended the inaugural mass today which also marks the beginning of Soonoyo Lent. The day also happens to be the Death Annieversary of Late Rev. Fr. Mathews Vadakkeparambil, the ex-Vicar of St. Peters Church who died while during his term of office here. Bar Eto Briro Dr. D. Babu Paul, Trustee Mr. M. Samuel and Secretary Mr. Reji Abraham were present on the occasion.

      This is the third worship place in Thiruvananthapuram for the Jacobite faithful in the capital city of Kerala. The chapel is located about 10 kms from the city centre on route to Nedumangad and Ponmudi Hill station. The chapel is now functioning on the first floor of a rented building, kindly given by a CSI faithful on the main road side and has ample space for parking. About 50 families having membership of St. Peters Church are residing near the chapel and this will be a great blessing for those around. It is estimated that more than 150 Jacobite families are residing in a 3 km radius in this area who attend IOC and other churches for convenience sake. Similar conditions prevail in other parts of the city. The IOC churches have a good number of membership from SOC faithful. Plans for more chapels are under active consideration in the days to come. Chapels near Technopark and Thirumala will be materalised soon. The managing committee under the able leadership of Rev. Fr. Daniel Joseph and Trustee Mr. M. Samuel is actively organising the arrangements for the above said developments.

      This chapel will be converted to a church within a couple of years.

      For photos: http://socmnet.org/News_StGeorgeChapel_TVPM.htm
    • Anoop Mani
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2009
        Dear brothers,

        Extremely happy to hear the beginning of a new church. We must try to begin new churches all over the world wherever our faithful have. Our Lord and God Almighty is again bringing up our church. Lets pray for all those who are working behind it.

        Anoop